Chapter 27 ~ The Underworld

*The image above is not mine. Copyright not intentional

Mirko POV

I had not thought about that infamous day in a long time... The day when I met Crucifero, when I saved his life, there in the middle of the Alakasian Mountains.... That wicked place forgotten by the goddess. It had always managed to evoke all kind of emotions within me regardless.

My so-called father had sent me there when I was barely an 8-year-old boy, even before I shifted into my wolf. When normal children played with toys and their main problems were to avoid bathing and eating vegetables, I, on the other hand, was forced to spend two entire years of my life over there... where my every day was a constant struggle to survive, find edible food or simply a warm refuge to spend the night... until Craken was born. From that moment everything changed.

The Alakasian mountains, that atrocious place that I called hell, then had become home.

That place where I was abandoned, all alone and scared... then it had gifted me with Craken and Crucifero.

That place where I arrived as a prey and left as a predator...

That place where I arrived as a kid... and left as an Alpha.

Yes.

I ended up becoming the Alpha of a pack over there...a pack that was still somewhere in the middle of those mountains, waiting for my return.

With a sigh and a faraway look, I let the memories come back to life.

I knew that the time where I had to go back to the Alakasian was near.

I used to go back every year, usually for a whole month, sometimes two, to take care of my Alakasian pack. And I usually liked to go back, however this time I found myself sceptical, doubtful, because I had found my mate and I really didn't want to leave her for so long. I just couldn't.

Someday she would make the perfect Luna. So brave and fierce when the case needed it, but at the same time with a pure heart.

And since mates should complement each other... what better mate than someone with a heart as black as mine?

Oh, if my father could have seen her...

"Alpha?" My guards called, bringing me back to reality.

"That's all. From here on I will go alone." I declared in a serious voice, waving at them to go back. Their sigh of relief didn't go unnoticed, but I understood.

Although they were two of the toughest guards I had ever had, nobody enjoyed going 'down'.

Beyond this floor laid the pathway towards the Underworld. If you thought Black Devil's dungeons were the worst place on earth, you were wrong...because you had never been to the Underworld.

Built by the first Alpha of Black Devil, more than 600 years ago, during those dark times called Middle Ages by the humans, it was used to keep the most dangerous wolves of all, such as feral alphas or mad werewolves. Other times, it served to make unwanted people disappear: an unfortunate witness, a son born from a secret lover, the pregnant lover herself, or even mates.

In the past, having a mate was seen as a tremendous weakness, especially for an Alpha or a Beta. And certainly, it was no secret that several mates had been locked down here.

Forgotten and abandoned.

While their other halves, the same ones that had ordered to make them disappear, became crazier every day, due to the loss of their mates. Those fools dug their own grave without even knowing it.