Chapter 55 ~ Hidden Truth

Time.

A fascinating but mysterious concept.

Since ancient times philosophers and scientists from all over the world had tried to conceptualize time in countless ways.

It came to the conclusion that there were two types of time...

The objective time was one. It belonged to science and it was measured by a suitable instrument called "clock". The subdivision that the clock made of time in certain instants was an arbitrary subdivision and, once the unit of measurement was chosen, it was repeated cyclically by the clock.

However, there was also a subjective time... That time whose existence depended entirely on our mind... that time which was perceived in different ways from person to person, from situation to situation. That time that did not follow the ticking of the clock or the rules of science ...

Because of subjective time, often it happened that certain moments seemed to last so long that even just a few seconds could amplify and be perceived as hours.

And in that fateful moment, where Elena and her mate found themselves under the lens of Alpha Giacomo and Luna Elisa, there was a silence suspended in the air that seemed to last for eternity and not mere seconds...

Those moments in which the parents stared at her in silence seemed to last hours.

Or at least to Elena...

In contrast, Black Devil's Alpha was too busy with other chores to worry about the newcomers.

In fact, Mirko, who seemed calm as the owner of the world, was actually fighting one of the most furious battles he had ever had to face: the one against his own wolf ... against himself.

That animal instinct, that completely wild side that resided inside Mirko, and that had craved Elena for all this time and that was pushed back too many times for Elena's sake...now it was at its maximum power.

It did not matter at all that the future in-laws were right there, to witness Elena and Mirko's love for the first time ever.

Craken wanted to mark his companion and mate at that precise moment, regardless of everything and everyone.

In reality, Mirko cared even less that Elena's parents stood there.

As far as he was concerned, now that they knew about him, he could very well have placed Elena on one shoulder and carried her in the woods, where he would have spent days intent on making love to her, after having marked her forever as his.

However, there was an important factor that held Mirko, and so did Craken, from jumping on Elena .... this important factor was Elena herself.

Both Mirko and his inner beast were still holding back (barely) because they knew how important it was for her to introduce him as her true mate and be accepted by her parents... and how nervous she had been about it.

The fresh mark on the neck boiled and continually injected an aphrodisiac poison into his body and soul. He ached, bubbled for Elena, and for the first time ever he was unsure how he could resist any further.

Even a single touch of her would be enough to blow him up.

It was Aunt Diletta who broke the eternal silence that lingered, freeing Elena from the spell of time, and distracting Mirko from his inner struggle.

"Oh, have you met Mirko before?" The woman, all smiling and gruff, unaware of the delicacy of the circumstances, went to the table, resting on it the tea pot and the cake. "He's such a sweet and kind boy!"