Chapter 18 ~ The Break Up

When the Beta bolted out of his seat with inhumane speed, he growled in alert. Looking around frenetically, he was expecting anything but the sight in front of him.

His beautiful mate was there, staring directly at him.

Awake.

God, how much he had missed those eyes!

The past two weeks had been the worse time he could ever remember, with merely enough sleep and food to survive, to continue breathing and to protect his mate.

But not too much, so he could keep his upset beast at bay. Especially after the first days, when he ended up killing a doctor and hurting some nurses. To not mention all those pack warriors that had tried to drag him away from his love.

Never stand between the beast and his mate.

Luckily, his life's brother had managed to stop his hysteria and had chained him down. Personally.

Mirko was the only werewolf able to beat Crucifero and his wolf. With his peerless strength forged in the darkness of the Alakasian mountains, Black Alpha was invincible.

At some point, Crucifero felt betrayed by Mirko's actions, until he had realised Mirko had no choice. A smart measure to keep everyone safe and let the doctors cured his mate.

Mate.

His mate was awake!

The Beta's face remained shocked for few seconds, while his heartbeat stopped for longer.

Relief. That was all he felt.

A tear rolled down his check, the first one he ever let escaped since he saw his mother being murdered in front of him.

Slowly and very carefully, Crucifero cupped the face of his angel and leaned closer. Forehead against forehead. Still shocked that Marco was finally awake and safe.

His reddish eyes burned with some hidden emotions and Marco shivered under his sight.

"I love you too, my world." Crucifero rasped out, staring at the magical eyes of his mate. Sobbing and all covered in tears, he was glaring back at a frowning Crucifero who couldn't stand his mate's pain. If he could, he would take on himself all his suffering and physical injure. Without blinking.

Damned, he would die for the sake of his mate.

But life had donated them another chance. And precious time.

More time to share memories, to be part of each other's, to fill future years with unconditional and pure love. For the first time in his hateful existence, Crucifero was in peace with all the gods and the whole universe.

And then, he closed the space between their lips and kissed him gently. Instantly, fireworks erupted in their bodies and Crucifero's chest rumbled with the familiar growls as his eyes turned back. Marco savoured his embrace. It made him feel safe and alive.

A gasp escaped his lips at what happened before. They had declared their love to each other for the very first time.

In words.

Despite his dark personality, his broody mate had already demonstrated his affection in thousands of ways.

After their kiss, he buried his face on Marco's neck and delicately grabbed his hair with one hand, while with the other he caressed his cheek.

Marco lifted his eyebrows, in stupefaction. His mate was handling him like he was made of porcelain.

Crucifero wasn't a soft person. Not even with his mate. If you opened the dictionary of synonyms and antonyms, you would find Crucifero name there. As antonyms of softness.

Marco chewed his lips at the memory of the first time they had sex. It seemed that a herd of bulls had attacked his room.

No need to mention Crucifero was an utter beast even during sex, though he was his best sex. Marco mentally smiled at the memory of his heavily bruised body, after his session with Crucifero. He couldn't walk straight for a week.

None was like him, not even closely, and Marco would have let him do whatever he wanted to his body. Whenever he liked.

His mate was magnificent, perfect.

And Marco didn't want to leave him the burden of rejection. He just couldn't. People were going to judge the already over criticised Beta Crucifero.

Getting rid of himself was the least Marco could do to the love of his life.

So Crucifero could find a better mate. Someone up to his level, not a broken puppy.

"C-Cruci..." He croaked out, weakly.

"We-we n-need to...talk." Marco stuttered, avoiding his stare.

"Sure, my love. But first let me call the nurses. They need to check on you and-" But Marco interrupted him. "No! Listen to me now!" He had to do it now or his poor heart wouldn't make it.

Crucifero stared at him with utter confusion.

"But doctors must make sure that your hand-" Marco cut off whatever he was going to say, very harshly. He didn't like the reminder of his missing hand.

"We can't be together anymore." Marco heart was beating so fast, he thought it would leap under his sad gaze.

Crucifero grasped his hand tighter and tried to smile at him. But his eyebrows were knitted together, and his posture stiffened.

"What are you trying to say my love?" He murmured after a moment.

Marco gulped, his lips trembling.

With a deep breath, he finally pronounced the hardest words in the entire universe.

Those forbidden words that could bring any werewolf to his knees.

"I, Marco, future Beta of Full Moon, reject you, Crucifero, Beta of Black Devil, as my mate."

Marco never felt so much pain in his all life. Not even when he lost his hand.

His whole body ached, dull emptiness running through his veins.

It was just pure, excruciating pain.

~~~~~~

Thanks for reading and sorry for the pain from this break up, but bear with me!! :D I promise more happiness in the future!!

*The image above is not mine. Copyright not intentional