Chapter 53 ~ Everything Will Be Fine

Elena POV

My silent cry must have somehow called the attention of my so-called father, also known as the possible murderer of my soul mate.

His fangs were dipped in thick dark blood that made him look like a hungry hellish creature. His yellow eyes, which I had always associated with comfort and family love, instilled a feeling of pure terror at that moment. I had never witnessed my father slaughter a werewolf in his human form, not even a rogue or an invader. It was beyond horrifying.

When I met his ravenous eyes, a snarl of pure hatred was directed at me, his only daughter.

And I felt I was dying from the inside.

Of all the reactions that my dad could have had when meeting my mate, of all the possible scenarios that I had pictured, this was the worst ever, without comparison.

Suddenly, my vision began to blur, and everything disappeared in slow motion.

The last thing I saw was my father snapping Mirko's head. The last thing I heard was the beating of Mirko's heart that stopped pumping precious life, leaving a void in his chest...a void I could never survive ... and then, I fell into oblivion....

....

When I opened my eyes again, unsure how long after... minutes? years?.. I found myself in front of the inquisitive face of Rex who studied me with raised eyebrows.

"Elena?!" He seemed worried.

Blinking a few times, I tried to get up, feeling slightly dizzy ...

Where was I?

Soon, I noticed my armchair and the familiar walls of my bedroom.

Meanwhile, heavy tears ran down my cheeks, unstoppable ...

And abruptly, realization hit me like a furious bull charging at the matador (bullfighter) ...

It was a dream! A nightmare... The worst of all.

Mirko was alive. Everything was fine.

Usually, the strange world of dreams begins to disappear as soon as we wake up, like a distant memory belonging to a past life.

In this case, the scene of the dream was still so sharp, so marked in my head that it seemed to me something that had happened 5 minutes ago. In the real world.

I could never ever erase the memory of how my father slayed my mate. Stealing his life. Kicking him out of this world.

There was something about that image that literally drove me out of my mind.

"Hey, look at me." Rex soothing voice relaxed me slightly. "It was just a dream." Large hands stroked my cheeks, wiping the river of tears away. "Stop crying, come on!"

As I focused on him, I realised Rex had changed and showered.

"I think you fell asleep when I left." He confirmed my doubts as he scratched his neck. "I rushed back when I heard your scream. Just like your father's guards. "He chuckled, shaking his head.

My father.... His bloodshot eyes that started at me viciously and the claws that disappeared in Mirko's flesh invaded a corner of my brain. And it would take a long time to remove the scene from the fortress of my thoughts.

It made me falter. Maybe it was a sign. Maybe I should not reveal my mate's identity yet...

"I can't take you to the human city" Rex pouted. "My dad called me to help with some of his Gamma duties"