Bonus Episode: Giulia POV

AN/ This is an extract from the spin off of Mate Mine. The book is called "Maze of Hearts" :)

As I was returning home via a shortcut through the woods, I was deeply absorbed in my private world.

Bitter and sweet sensations mingled within me.

The truth was that I had been under my older brother's protective arm all my life. And I had to admit it had spoiled me a little.

That meteorite of positivity and good energies called Marco had always been my rock. When he lost his hand, for a moment I thought my rock had crumbled, I thought I had lost my best friend and brother. It had been a long winding road but, in the end, he learned to live and accept his new situation. The fact that he could still shifted in his entire wolf and run, helped immensely.

Crucifero had joined the party and I could not be happier about it.

As much as I wanted to move in with them, in their new home, I would never interfere with their new life together ... especially after all they had gone through.

Marco's insistence and Crucifero comforting smiles were not enough to convince me.

I sighed as I kicked a few stones off the path that meandered between the pines and firs.

What awaited me on the horizon was pure mystery. I had no idea what to do with my life.

As sad as it may sound, I had always thought of moving in with my mate, in his pack, and then decide from there. I grew up with this romantic idea of

meeting the love of my life, my soul mate, and being in total synchrony with him. I thought I would find him as soon as I shifted into my wolf, when I turned 15. For a while I had even believed that Rex would be the one ... thank God no!

As time passed, my hopes and butterflies began do die. When we had moved to the new high school, under Black Devil jurisdiction, I secretly hoped that my mate was there. I secretly wanted a wild Black Devil warrior as my companion... but Moon Goddess had other plans. He was not there either.

Where was he then?!

Instead, Marco had found the love of his life the very day he set foot in the new school, and then it was Elena's turn. Although she still had not uttered a word, and I understood why, I was 100% sure that she was the fated mate of Black Alpha himself. A chuckle escaped my lips.

Elena had always been my other rock. Strong, independent, down-to-earth. Never minding whether her mate would come, Elena had always kept her eyes on the goals, and I always admired her for that.

"What are you doing here?" A deep voice came from above me and I stopped dead on my tracks.

As I slowly looked up, I found myself staring at Black Alpha, perched on a tree branch.

I was speechless, agape. He seemed part of the nature itself. I realized that I had not perceived even a whiff of his scent. How did he do it?!

"I-I visited Marco and now heading home." I managed to utter without shaking.

He studied me for a while without blinking. Dam, Alpha Mirko was the epithet of intimidation... and the guy was not even trying to be.

Everyone in my pack thought Crucifero was terrifying.

'Wait until you meet your Alpha daughter 's mate.'

"Why didn't he accompany you?" He raised an eyebrow, jumping down easily from a 10 meter tree.

Thank God he kept some distance, without getting close.

"These woods are no-man's land. It's dangerous."