Chapter 49 ~ Date Night #Part 2

"I love you"

As soon as it left her lips, it immediately reached his core, sinking into the deepest recesses of his soul, like an arrow that fully hits the target.

Mirko stopped breathing.

How three simple words could steal the air from his lungs and kidnap his heart, was one of the many mysteries Mirko had faced since he met Elena.

The girl, on the other hand, could not avoid but winced a little. The malicious voice that belonged to Mrs Insecurity whispered that he had not answered her...that he did not reciprocate her feelings.

Maybe Mirko felt overwhelmed.

Maybe he did not feel like answering.

Or, simply, he was not yet in love, regardless of the mate bond.

Unaware of the swirl of doubtful thoughts in the head of his mate, Mirko, who had fallen madly in love with her from the first day he had met her, was spellbound. Happy. Agape...

Funny that the word "love" derives from the Greek word "agapao", from which "agape", which means precisely ″to love deeply - unconditionally, whatever happens".

A heartbeat later, Elena found herself crushed in Mirko's arms.

And soon the air was filled with sweet sounds of kisses, rustling of touches and feather-like caresses.

After the heated moment, the two lovers approached the table with the playful fire crackling from its hole, the flames of which came out of the table's surface. There was a grill placed on the table with trays covered with foil. It seemed perfect for a BBQ and Elena discovered that she had had a good intuition.

In fact, they started cooking meat on the fire in front of them and eating it immediately afterwards. There were also other dishes apart from meat, but this was the undisputed dish, in different forms. Ribs, legs, chest, and so on. It looked like a whole animal had been cut into pieces, perfectly disjointed, and meticulously cleaned, ready to be cooked on the fire.

"Wow, it's so delicious," Elena moaned as a little juice ran down her lips. They were eating from iron sticks, where they skewered the meat and cooked it. Mirko remained silent, more likely embarrassed or shocked for some reason. Elena did not notice it, immersed in the exquisite meal.

"What is it?" The surprise was evident in her voice, since she had never tasted anything so extraordinary.

"Deer" He managed to say without looking at her.

It seemed that Mirko had lost the ability to pronounce a single sentence without stuttering. All his bestial confidence had evaporated that evening.

"Wow, it's crazy! Where did you get it?" The girl asked as she grabbed another piece.

A sigh of relief escaped Mirko as soon as she seemed fully satisfied with the quality of the food. It would have been a big kick in his pride if Elena had not liked the food he selected.

"I-I, err, I hunted it myself," He admitted, again blushing.

In some clans of werewolves, more traditional and ancient, the male used to provide for his female by hunting the best and largest prey of a herd. It was old-fashioned, but deeply instilled in the genes. Modern werewolves no longer procured their own food, even less for their mates. Mirko was another story entirely.

Instead of taking her out to a restaurant and then following the evening with some activities like going to drink, cinema or play bowling, Mirko had provided their food, recreated their own private restaurant in the middle of nature and build a kind of ice path to skate.