Chapter 2 ~ A Strange Event

When the shadows of the night had almost kidnapped the sun, Elena started to head back. A small smile was plastered on her face, with her mind relaxed after some meditation in nature. It had always helped her to reconnect with her core and see things in perspective, valuing her life and how happy she should be for everything she had: health, a loving family, amazing friends and innate qualities, including her animal side. It was so easy to take those things for granted and forget to appreciate them.

Herculi was trotting beside her. The massive dark grey wolf was reached her shoulder and she was tall for a she-wolf.

The scent of sweet burning assaulted her senses just as Herculi retracted his lips and let out a growl. In the blink of an eye, Elena's purple shirt and jeans were ripped to shreds as bones cracked and fur sprouted over every inch of her skin. Instead of Elena, now stood a sandy brown wolf, her eyes, the same green eyes as her human darting around. 

They raced down the trail towards the packhouse. Heart pounding in her chest, Elena knew that something was terribly wrong.

Screams and smoke rose above the treetops, signaling the chaos that awaited. 

Elena skimmed to a stop as she finally reached the clearing in front of the pack house. 

Chaos reigned.

There were humans against humans, fists colliding with bone and sinew, each blow leaving behind a trail of blood and broken flesh. Then there were wolves against wolves, tearing into each other with ferocious abandon, sharp fangs sinking into tender flesh while claws raked across fur, leaving deep gashes behind. 

For the few humans foolish enough to stand against the wolves, their fate was sealed swiftly, their screams drowned out by the savage cacophony of battle.

Mothers, their cries a haunting melody, clung desperately to their infants, their arms shaking with fear as brutish invaders tore their children from their grasp.

Full Moon warriors fought hard, they were born to protect, and rescued as many as they could. 

But amidst the carnage, some aggressors managed to slip away, their cruel laughter echoing through the blood-soaked air as they vanished into the night, their stolen prizes clutched tightly in their grasp.

When an enormous wolf ran away with a squealing young girl hanging from his teeth, Elena didn't think twice and chased after him, hearing her dying bubbling. With a big leap, she landed on top of the wolf's back, rolling on the ground for a few meters. She noticed that the wolf lost his grip on the wounded girl. The poor soul was now lying in the grass, sobbing and trying to keep the insides of her belly in place.

As the wolf attempted to bite Elena with an unforgiving attack, a gigantic wolf surprised them by smashing his massive figure against the aggressor. The latter flew for some meters and landed with a whimper. A furious Herculi growled threateningly.

Then something shocking happened: the enemy stared at Herculi for a moment and bowed his head with a whine.

Elena glanced at her enraged friend. Not wasting another heartbeat, he lunged at the wolf, who weirdly didn't defend himself or retaliate.

The scene felt like a nightmare come to life, spiraling out of control. After the intruder lay in pieces, Herculi showed no signs of satisfaction, continuing to tear at the remains and scatter them around.

"Hey, Herc-" Elena cautiously approached him, but the supposedly tame pet wolf unexpectedly turned, snarling at her with a feral intensity, blood coating his muzzle.

Elena froze in sheer terror. What on earth was happening?

"El!!" A tall figure sprinted toward her, clad only in boxers, his muscular chest adorned with numerous cuts.

"Are you alright?" He examined her carefully, his gaze filled with concern as he inspected the gash on her head.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine Rex." She assured and hugged her best friend. Rex was the Full Moon Gamma's son and had always looked after her since they were children. A personal bodyguard slash special friend gifted with a golden soul.

"What in the world just happened here? Looks like a butcher lost his entire meat supply," Rex muttered, his eyes wide as he took in the grisly scene. Membranes, organs, and bones lay scattered around in a gruesome puddle of blood.

"Let's just go back, Rex." Elena murmured, leaning on his arm.

The Full Moon members, numerous and well-trained, swiftly quelled the initial attack, leaving the majority of the aggressors strewn on the floor—lifeless.

The refugees with their remaining children received proper care. Some had lost a hand or whole arm protecting their offspring.

Amidst the chaos, refugees and their remaining children received much-needed care. To shield their offspring, some bore severe injuries, literally lost parts of themselves in the fight. The sight was heart-wrenching - gut-wrenching didn't seem appropriate...

A mammoth light brown wolf emerged from the fray, two small children clinging to its furry neck. Elena's father had ensured the safety of at least those fortunate souls.

Their mothers rushed forward to reclaim them, gratitude pouring from their tear-streaked faces. "Thank you, Alpha!" they cried, bowing deeply in reverence.

"Alpha, three women have fallen, several warriors are wounded, and five children, all boys, are missing," the Beta reported to Alpha Giacomo, weariness etched across his features.

Throughout the afternoon, refugees trickled in, some maybe not what they seemed, pretending to seek asylum but brewing evil. This surprise attack was stopped, but questions lingered, fear rose —were they rogue opportunists trying to kidnap wolf pups? Or pawns of Lord Skull's pack? 

Ciro, the pack's Alpha, had claimed indifference toward those members migrating, but trust was scarce, almost null, for a mad Alpha who had lost his soulmate.

Conspiracy theories popped up like rotting mushrooms, some against Black Devil and their possible involvement. According to this theory, the 'Devils' could have taken advantage of the refugee situation to weaken Full Moon.

"Elena!" Her father enveloped her in a bone-crushing hug. "Why are you covered in blood?" he demanded, concern clouding his gaze

"It's not mine." she grinned, momentarily setting aside Herculi's episode.

"I already told you not to take these idiotic risks!" And so it began.

Elena mentally prepared herself for a long one; the bath would have to wait. Her father needed to scold her to chase away his concern for her.

"How many times do I have to repeat myself, stubborn, just like he was, argh—" And the lecture droned on for what felt like an eternity. Once the Alpha finally seemed satisfied that he had fulfilled his fatherly duties, he launched into a flurry of orders.

"Meet me in my office, Beta. We've got phone calls to make and plans to hatch!" With that, he marched off, not before shooting a pointed glance in his daughter's direction.

"Go to sleep early. Tomorrow there will be a long ride."