Chapter 62 ~ Unleashing (the) Craken Part 1 & 2

Part 1

A peculiar scent smacked Mirko right across the face when he was near the entry of the Underworld. The angry footstep halted immediately. The desire to skin his Gamma alive vaporized into the air.

For a brief moment, the Alpha thought he was hallucinating. Or raving. Or in the middle of a nightmare.

Shutting his eyes, he lifted his nose up and took a massive breath.

As his wolf scanned the various smells captured by his nostrils, his brows furrowed, and broad shoulders tensed in the process.

When the eyes reopened, they had darkened considerably, as if a shadow of hell hovered over them.

It was faint.

Yet, Craken and Mirko could certainly perceive that intoxicating smell that had bewitched their lungs and minds since the very first. Hell, he could recognize it among a million others.

Elena was there.

Her scent called him like a mermaid trapped in the darkest and most evil abyss... the Underworld itself.

It did not take long for the smart brain to put two and two together and figure out who the female rogue was. Questions like 'what the hell happened?', 'Why was his mate in the Underworld?', 'was he dreaming?' never crossed his mind.

Because, before Craken or Mirko had time to react or finish processing in any way, his legs started running. His mind was blank. The only goal was to reach the source of that perfume, pushing anything or anyone aside, like a living blower.

Gradually, though, a feeling of pure panic began to proliferate like an unwanted parasite. Panic about how deep she was taken. Panic about what he would find down there. Panic about what will happen to him if she was not fine. Panic because no one would be able to get rid of him if he went amok. Oh, because he would, if he lost her, his mate... His balance. The source of happiness. The wall that separated him from the dark world of madness.

When Mirko entered a small cell, he barely noticed Ronaldo and Crucifero standing there, silent and motionless. Like two statues.

His eyes darted to a small body on the corner, and, for the first time in his not-so-easy life, Mirko almost passed out there and there.

His heart almost leapt out of his chest. His wolf almost separated from his body due to the shock.

Almost...

With one stride, he reached the trembling figure on the disgusting floor.

Mirko crouched down and wrapped one arm around her waist and the other to her legs, holding her tightly in his arms. The little figure weighted nothing and was so cold. Too cold.

Crucifero and Rolando watched their Alpha cradling his mate and deposing a few kisses on her face, whispering incomprehensible words that were solely for his mate.

"Alpha, she is going to be ok." Gamma murmured with a sad voice while Crucifero touched his shoulder, shaking his head.

'Beta, tell your mate to go to the Medical Wing and stay by her side.' Mirko ordered through mind-link as he was unable to speak aloud.

'And place five warriors at her door.'

"Yes, Alpha. Anything els-"

'Wait for me here.'

Trying to ignore the tingling of the skin and the magical sparks, Mirko made his way out of that hell on earth, with that sleeping beauty in his arms.