Chapter 2

They couldn't find him. Lord knew they tried. Tried for an entire month after he disappeared and cut her loose from the case, suggesting she go into witness protection.

It was pretty obvious he had her figured out on that one coffee shop day. It was her slip up that probably confirmed everything for him.

Evelyn refused the witness protection program only because of how Liam looked at her the day he left. He meant it when he told her he loved her. If he really wanted to hurt her, he could have done it there and then. But he hadn't.

Life had gone back to normal, and Evelyn was happy to be back in her own apartment after the year-long case. Then, out of the blue, she heard word Liam was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. They wouldn't tell her where or when, which was fine with her.

She could lie and say she was totally unaffected by the news. She lived with him for nearly the entire time she knew him. At times, it had been very easy to forget his criminal activity. They had a lot of fun moments together watching movies, shopping and eating. And then there were the nights.

While she never had sex with him, he sure knew what to do with his hands and that tongue of his. She learned lots by him. The education he provided her would definitely prove useful on her next case to be sure.

Evelyn poured herself a whiskey, brought up a picture of Liam on her phone and held up the glass with a clear of her throat. "Rub a dub dub, I was your little sub, you were my dom and my daddy. We both fucked up and now you're gone, while I sit here without...my salary." Tossing the fire liquid back, she coughed hard before throwing the glass into the fireplace.

While the FBI was kind enough to offer witness protection, that was all they offered. Stingy bastards. There had to be a way to get her full payout. It wasn't fair. She gathered so much info for the FBI that helped them nab a few of the people on her list of names. Such bullshit!

Evelyn sniffed irritated, a twitch to her eye. When the FBI cut her off without a penny more than her reimbursements, she was so stunned she didn't even brook an argument. Now, learning about Liam's death--and the fact they both ended up losers--really chapped her ass. Not that she supported Liam, but between the two of them, one of them needed to come out the victor in the situation. So what to do about it?

Several ideas swirled in Evelyn's mind, bringing a smile to her lips. Her dreamy grin dissolved into a resolute pout. When the sun came up, she was going to march down to that office and demand her money. Or else! Not exactly sure what the or else would be, but it was worth a shot. Maybe if she dressed professionally, she would get some attention.

That was the ticket! She could wear a nice suit and curl her hair. Maybe apply some makeup. Many dudes over the years called her gorgeous. At least one of them had to be telling her the truth. She could use her charm.

Evelyn looked around her apartment. It was a nice place thanks to her work for the FBI. There was no sense in going to college. She was twenty-one years old and already had a nice portfolio. Why stop? If the FBI wouldn't offer her the money she was owed, she would cut her losses and just take on another case. It really wasn't that big of a deal. Kind of.

Evelyn jumped up and grabbed another glass out of her cabinet. If she really thought about things, Liam did her a favor. She didn't have to play things cool or go into hiding. The only person who ever really saw her was a man Liam showed her picture to, and he was in prison. She could take another case if she really wanted.

In order to do that though, she would dress up. Something in her gut told her to keep shit professional tomorrow. She had a lot of clothes. Which suit to wear was the only question. Putting down her glass, she grabbed the bottle and went to her room where a small walk-in closet presented the options.