Chapter 9

They came, they saw, they conquered. To the victor go the spoils. The spoils? Her purse. They had her damn purse and in it the diphenhydramine. A common antihistamine. Would they put two and two together?

Of course they would. They spent enough time trying to wake Jude's ass up, basically forcing him out of the room. These people were smart. Way too smart for her.

The FBI was probably right. These people were cyber criminals. Did she forget so soon? These guys were not only bikers, they were biker nerds. This was beyond bad. It was catastrophic. No. This was Liam all over again.

He caught her red-handed trying to drug him. It caused her to confess her virginity claiming she was too scared to have sex with him. She was going to have to do the same with Jude.

Hopefully, he believed her. Hopefully, he wouldn't make her prove it like Liam did to her. At least Liam took her to a doctor to confirm it. She wasn't so sure Jude would be as nice.

Should she get dressed? Evelyn grappled with what to do. If she got dressed, it might make her look guilty. She was guilty. Maybe just continue to lay naked in bed. Her dignity was lost long ago. If they saw her naked, so be it. Perhaps it would make her confession look believable.

One thing she had in her favor was the fact she still was in bed. Had she taken off, it would have spelled disaster for her. It was pure luck or the grace of the good lord above for keeping her in that bed. So the bed she would remain. Until further notice.

Another thing in her favor was not exceeding the recommended dosage on the package of the antihistamine. It would show she wasn't trying to kill him. Sure, he was in a dead sleep. But there was no way of knowing how a person would react to such medication without ever trying it. Something told her he didn't take over-the-counter meds. It was reasonable to believe his extreme reaction to the drug, especially after having been mixed with alcohol.

Maybe this would all work out. And maybe she was in dreamland. There was no time left to ruminate. The door swung open, hitting the wall. She cringed under the blankets. Would he throw the blankets off of her or maintain her decency? Seconds would tell.

"Scarlet?" Jude's voice was a deep rumble.

Time to act. She turned over lazily and sat up, pulling the comforter up to her chest so that it barely covered her breasts in a sexy way. "Jude?" Her voice registered groggy.

She didn't miss the way his eyes raked over her body or the way his jaw flexed. She also didn't miss the two huge guys standing behind him getting their fill.

These boys were hot. Seriously hot. What the hell? She would have to change their name to hot biker nerds club.

"Get out." Jude didn't look at the two men, but they took the hint and left.

He came fully into the room, closing the door behind him. She watched him, making sure to keep a confused look on her face. Her eyes didn't dare go to the purse in his hand. Her purse to be exact. The purse where the rest of the pills were.

She was dumb. Either that or she wasn't cut out for this line of work. She thought she was, but her last job was messed up. Messed up by her actions. She should have gone to school. It wasn't too late, she mused. For now, however, she needed to finish this.

Oh god. Another thought. Did they find the zip drive?! Her heart accelerated. If they found that, she was as good as dead. Maybe they didn't. There was a small hole in the lining of her purse where she dropped it in. Please lord. Please let my secret be safe. There would be no recovery if they found it.

Jude tossed her purse onto the bed. It took all the willpower she had not to grab it. Instead, she rubbed her eye in a child-like manner.

"You're angry. What's wrong?"