Chapter 16

Jude let Scarlet ride up ahead of him for enough of a span that she was nothing more than a dot on the horizon. But he could still see her. She took an off ramp, and so did he. Where was she heading? Something told him it wasn't home.

The look on her face definitely was one of shock and, he'd wager to say, panic. Not that he was staring into her eyes long because they were riding, but he knew the look well.

Keeping a safe distance, he continued following Scarlet through the city. Yeah, she definitely wasn't heading back to her apartment. He had to pull over because he was getting too close. The last thing he wanted was for her to spot him and abandon her destination.

The gut feeling he'd been nursing was getting old. He needed answers. Hopefully, wherever she was going, would provide him some.

Jude was happy her fiery red hair was so visible. If it weren't for the color, he would have lost her a few times. Traffic was becoming a little thicker with the afternoon starting to approach quitting time for many city workers.

After a few more blocks, Scarlet slowed her bike down. Not to a complete stop, but damn near. Jude's eyes widened. Scarlet hesitated outside of a rather large building with a very blatant sign.

"Federal Bureau of Investigation? Mother fucker."

Scarlet picked up her pace and disappeared around the corner. Jude followed hoping she was just checking the building out, but knew better. There was underground parking, and he caught a glimpse of her tail light disappearing into the depths of the parking structure.

Deciding against following her in, he parked across the street and settled in. He glanced at his watch to check the time. Just how long she spent inside wouldn't really matter. All that mattered was the fact she was in the godforsaken building.

So many questions answered in less than a second. So she was an FBI agent. She was investigating him and his club. How stupid could he be? How many times did his instinct tell him to keep his distance from her? Hell, it fucking screamed at him.

Did he listen? Of course he didn't. Instead, he let his dick make the goddamn decisions. The most hilarious thing about it all was that he wasn't even getting laid. The woman was a virgin. Jude ran his hand through his hair frustrated. How could he allow himself to be so fooled? Was he really that desperate? That lonely? She duped him and the old ladies. The only person she didn't seem to fool was Sin.

Sin warned him. But he didn't listen. Nope. Well, two could play at this game. She thinks she could just waltz up into his life and fucking ruin it? Yeah, right. Not gonna happen.

Tonight, he was gonna bust her. In more ways than one. He deserved compensation for his pain and suffering. Tonight, before he put the kibosh on her investigation, he was going to make sure to get her on her back. Served her right.

Satisfied with his plan, Jude decided on riding home instead of waiting for her to come back out of the building. It didn't really matter how long she was inside. Fact of the matter was, she was in that office. It was telling enough.

Once home, Jude kicked off his shoes and pulled off his jacket before heading into his office. With a huff, he sat down and opened his laptop. He needed to get some normal work done and calm his nerves.

Blue screen. That was weird. Since when? Did his computer update? He swiveled his mouse around. Still nothing. Control, alt, delete it was. Nothing. Great. Left with little other option, he pressed the power button until the machine died and waited for a few minutes before powering it up again.

Jude watched as the little circle buffered. Around and around. Jesus Christ. He got up from his chair and went to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. Was everything going to be difficult today? Fuck.