Chapter 22

"I can't take it anymore, Bid! This job sucks ass. I need to do something. I-I-I need to regroup."

"And how, pray tell, are you planning on doing that?"

"I need to brainstorm. To get away from here."

"Again, how are you planning to do that?" Biddy's bored tone carried through the phone.

"I'm coming over, that's how."

"How do you know they're not following you around town, Eve?"

Biddy had a point. Exactly how did she know she wasn't being followed? Clicking her tongue a few times, she thought. She could go to the grocery store and see if anyone was following her that way. Stupid plan, but it was all she had to work with.

Hanging up the phone, she went to the nearest supermarket in town. The only supermarket in town. She couldn't complain. It was a small place which worked in her favor. If anyone tried to follow her, she'd totally see them.

Walking up and down the aisles, basket in hand, she did need a few things. Pads for one. She hated getting her period. What a pain! Literally. Throwing some chocolate bars into her basket along the way, she found the personal hygiene aisle.

"Hey you."

Evelyn fumbled a box of pads, startled by the voice at her ear. "Jesus!" She swung around to face a smirking Elliot.

What the fuck? He was following her. No way was it coincidence. This was straight up cringe! She had no intention of letting him get away with it either.

"Following me now?"

"Maybe," he smirked.

At least he admitted it, she frowned.

"You were really quiet on the way home from our date. I just wanted to find you to see if you were okay." He shoved his hands into his pockets.

Evelyn's brow rose. Was that a submissive stance? Nice try. She knew better. Throwing the box of pads into her basket, she decided to inspect the light-day panty liners.

"I was quiet for your benefit. You seemed embarrassed, and I didn't wanna upset you any more than what you already were. It's called common courtesy. And you could've called me. How do you think I feel, you waltzing up on me checking out feminine products? Embarrassing much?"

Elliot chuckled, taking a lock of Evelyn's hair between his fingers and giving it a sniff before dropping it. "You don't have to be embarrassed with me, beautiful. But, you're right. I should've said somethin'. I guess I was kinda embarrassed. You okay, though?"

Turning, she gave him her full attention. "Am I okay? Let me ask you something. That was another MC right?"

"Yeah."

"Doesn't take a brain to figure out it was your rival."

"Nope. They're one of our biggest."

"Then I'm great."

Elliot frowned. "Whatd'ya mean?"

Evelyn threw her head back and laughed. "Elliot, you don't realize how boring my life's been. When that big dude came up to our table, it was so...exciting! I mean, I was in the middle of a pretty tense situation. It could've gone either way, and you were so awesome! You didn't crack under pressure!"

A smile spread across his face. Ha! He swallowed her explanation like a...like a bitch swallowed cum. Ew. Why the hell did I think of that? I'm one of those bitches. She bit the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing.