Chapter 15

It was late morning and he hadn't called or sent a text. Not that he was obligated to do so, but still. Where was he? Why hadn't he called? Did it mean he did have cameras in his house and saw her snooping around? If that was the case, the mission would be another failed operation to add to her resume. Not good.

Should she call him? Text him maybe? If she did, would he answer? Would it make her look suspicious? There was no real answer to any of her questions. So, instead, she decided to get dressed, pull on her boots and go for a ride.

It would help clear her mind. Maybe she would ride out of the city and into the countryside, away from everything. She needed to reassess her situation.

After braiding her hair, she grabbed her sunglasses and keys. Her riding jacket had inside pockets perfect for her wallet, phone and a set of clear glasses incase she made it back late. There was no need to bring along anything else.

Taking the stairs down two at a time, she pushed the door open and saw Craig at his car.

"Hey, Craig."

"Hi, Scarlet! What's up?"

"Not much."

"You goin' for a ride?"

"Yup."

"Where's your boyfriend?"

Evelyn got onto her bike and started it. "Not here."

"You break up? I could take you out."

"We didn't break up, dork. See ya," she waved.

Heading out, without looking back, Evelyn made it to the expressway where she merged with traffic. While she wasn't afraid to travel at a high rate of speed, she was happy for the light amount of cars on the road.

After thirty minutes of traveling, she found an off ramp into the country. This was her true destination. She would ride around, maybe grab a bite to eat for lunch and then go back home to watch a good movie.

Countryside rides were always the best. The weather was nice with a slight breeze and the sun was out. Periodically, she would catch the sweet scent of wild flowers growing along side the road. It was perfect.

Eventually, she reached a few shops and restaurants. The small town reminded her of something out of an old movie. A place where everyone knew one another. It was charming.

It was a little after one in the afternoon, so she decided to park outside of a small mom and pop restaurant with a cute red-striped awning. She didn't have anything to eat yet, and was starving. Hopefully, this place would be as good as it looked.

When she walked in, she immediately noticed the ding from a little bell hanging above the door. Very aesthetic. Off to a good start. There were two waitresses wearing cute uniforms with water pitchers in hand, going around from table to table.

"We'll be right with you, sweetie."

Yup. Definitely small town charm. It didn't take long for one of the women to give her a menu and show her to a table. It was impressive all the dishes to choose from. She really wanted to sink her teeth into a giant burger, but didn't want to feel too full riding back. She figured she was at least an hour away from home.

Maybe a chef's salad with a lot of dressing. She loved French. Ooh, and a side of cottage cheese. And a water. She was still trying to recoup her hydration.

"What can I get you, sweetie?"

Evelyn looked up at the older woman. She was chewing gum and holding a pencil, waiting patiently. After Evelyn ordered, the waitress took the menu and left Evelyn to observe the room. There were a ton of old people dining, and a few younger ones. Everyone seemed to be chatting happily. Must be a good place.