Chapter 18

Jude was still sleeping. It was midmorning. She could feel it. She needed to get up. Ever so slowly she inched off of the bed, then tiptoed into the bathroom. She needed to get cleaned up and dressed.

Sitting on the toilet was when she noticed. The insides of her legs were smeared with blood. It wasn't much, but enough for her to definitely notice. So this was the evidence of her deflowering. A smile touched her lips. Jude was the right man for the job too. There was no regret, only a happy memory to store away.  

In the meantime, she really wanted to shower but wasn't sure if she should risk waking Jude. Screw it. Her muscles felt sore, especially between her legs. She needed hot water to relax and get cleaned up. Without further thought, she went for it.

Before lathering up, she stood a moment with eyes closed under the warm spray. The heat against her muscles was too good. But soon, plumes of steam started to billow and dissipate into the exhaust fan. It was time to wash up and get out. She was only prolonging the inevitable.

Turning off the water and wrapping herself in the luxury that was Jude's towel, she grabbed a second one and twisted it around her hair for a few seconds to wring out as much water as she could. After drying, she removed both towels letting her damp hair fall. Hopefully it was warm outside, otherwise it would be one cold-ass ride home.

Realizing her clothes were still strewn about the bedroom, she reluctantly re-wrapped herself in the now wet towel with a shiver. That didn't feel too great. With a sigh, she left the room stopping short at a fully dressed Jude.

He was sitting in a chair, regarding her with a stony expression. What the hell was wrong with him?

"Are...are you okay?" she ventured to ask.

"Yeah," he said, gaining his feet. "Get dressed and meet me downstairs."

"Okay," she replied soft.

Evelyn watched his retreating form and rubbed her hands down her face. What was this about? Her stomach turned. She couldn't read him only to know something was up, and it wasn't good.

She dressed as fast as she could, glancing around the room to make sure she had everything. Her bag and keys were downstairs. With one last longing look, she went down to find him in the living room where the coffee table was put back into place. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. Their night of passion...erased.

"Sit down."

Evelyn did so and watched him sit across from her, hands clasped together with arms braced on his thighs. His gaze penetrating.

"Where did you go the other day?"

"I...I told you. I went for a drive," she swallowed. Where was he going with this?

Jude shook his head, looking down at his feet a moment before meeting her obvious expression. "After we met up on the highway. Where did you go?"

Shit. He knew. He fucking knew. Had to. Now was the time to fess up. She was going to do it anyway. It was now or never.

"I...went to the store." No! Why did that just spill out of her mouth? What the fuck was wrong with her?

"Try again, Evelyn," his jaw flexed.

"I went home. Wait. What did you call me?"

"I called you by your name. Evelyn, isn't it?"

Evelyn let out a defeated breath sliding her gaze to the floor.

"Care to enlighten me on the little part about your being an FBI agent?"

"I'm not," she whispered.