Chapter 14

Evelyn groaned at the bright sunlight. A certain beam hit her straight in the eyes causing a sharp pain to disburse throughout her brain. She pressed her palm against the right side of her head with a loud whimper.

What the hell happened last night? Better yet, how did she get home? Wait. She wasn't home. She was at Jude's place. One flex of her fingers into the plush of the blanket, and she should have known.

Crap! She totally blacked out. It wasn't like she had a lot of drinks either. How many did she have? A few shots? Some beer? Another noise escaped from her parched throat.

"You finally awake?"

Rolling her eyes up to see Jude saunter in caused a stabbing jolt to her head. Dammit! This wasn't fair. He didn't look any worse for wear. In fact, he looked very put together. What the hell time was it?

Evelyn propped herself up and looked around for a clock. The only one he had in the living room was on the cable box. She couldn't see that far. Her eyes scanned the room for her phone. Shit. Where was her damn phone?

"What time is it?" she croaked.

Holy hell, she sounded horrible. She could only imagine how she looked. Too bad a hole couldn't swallow her up. She probably stunk too.

"Nine. Here's some water and take two of these."

Evelyn took the water and pills from him grateful. Quickly swallowing them down, she found her purse on a side table. She needed to check her phone to ensure Biddy hadn't called her.

"You can shower if you want. I gotta head out and get some things done this morning."

"Oh. Okay."

"Don't worry about locking up. I can do it from my phone."

Evelyn blinked. He seemed cold. Was he pissed he had to take care of her last night? Maybe.

"Okay," she whispered.

Good. He could go. She needed to regroup. Last night was inexcusable. She allowed herself to indulge. To forget her mission. No way was she going to let that happen again.

Evelyn folded the blanket up and set it aside. That was when she noticed she was in nothing but a t-shirt. He must have dressed her.

Anyone on the outside looking in would think Jude was pretty sweet. They wouldn't be wrong. While he sure looked big and bad, he was really nice. Looking around, he seemed to have his shit together. Although, anyone with a successful criminal business probably would.

Evelyn made her way into the bathroom and flicked on the light. She stopped short. "Oh. My. God. I look like shit!" Evelyn pressed her palms against her cheeks. This was horrible! He saw her at her worst. Absolute worst. How the hell was she supposed to woo him looking like that?!

The only answer was damage control. From this day forward, she vowed to never drink more than one drink ever again. And...to stay away from the old ladies of the club. They weren't to be trifled with. Those women seriously knew how to party. And, man, were they fun.

Evelyn turned the shower on and ducked under the hot spray. Ahh. So much better. If only she could stand under the water forever. Steam started to billow up to the ceiling. Shit. She forgot to turn the exhaust fan on.

Grabbing a bottle of body wash, Evelyn sudsed up and rinsed quicker than she wanted to. She really needed to get dressed and home. A regroup was in order. A regroup and plan.

Finished with her shower, she found a towel and wrapped it around herself. Where could her dress be? Did she really want it? It probably smelled like alcohol and sweat. Gross.