Chapter 8

"Judy! Yo, dude. Forget we were comin' over or what?"

"He's probably sleeping or planning to kill us. Judas, it's Lucky and Sin. Don't kill us, bro. We come in peace."

Lucky frowned walking into the kitchen. "If he's sleepin', he left all his lights on."

"I think he can afford to leave em on. Let's grab a beer and crash here for the night."

Sin pulled the fridge open and grabbed out two bottles of beer, handing one over to Lucky. He twisted the cap off and leaned against the fridge, his eyes falling on the center island.

"What's that?" He pushed away from the wall and took a step forward, inspecting the small pink plastic laying on the stone. He picked it up, noticing the powder.

Lucky joined the inspection and shrugged. "Looks like some sort of medication maybe?"

"Yeah. Weird. I've never known Jude to take pills other than vitamins. He's a health nut."

"Right. Should we check it out?"

Sin rubbed the stubble on his jaw. "Lemme see that again." He took the half capsule and inspected it. "Why would he need to break this open? It's tiny. I've seen him take handfuls of vitamins at a crack."

The thought was dawning for Lucky. It was true. Jude never took pain pills or medication that they knew about. And they knew their friend. Their brotherhood was tight. They all had keys to each other's houses. Came and went like family because their club was a family.

"Something's off. I don't like it."

Sin nodded and held his finger up to his lips before reaching over and turning off the light. He signaled for Lucky to follow. The next room illuminated was Jude's den. Sin pointed to the laptop askew on the desk. He lifted the lid illuminating the screen. It was opened to the internet where a banking site displayed. He shook his head confused.

"This isn't like, Jude," Lucky whispered.

"I know. Come on. We'll go up the back stairs."

Sin pulled out his gun and Lucky followed suit. Midway up, Sin bent down and picked up Jude's shirt. He turned it over in his hand.

"I don't see any other clothes," Sin whispered, signaling Lucky on.

"If someone hurt Jude, I'm gonna kill 'em."

"Shh."

After reaching the landing, they took note of all the open doors save Jude's bedroom. It had to mean he was inside. He was probably alright.

Silently, Sin turned the doorknob. The fireplace was on, illuminating the room to a decent degree. Cautiously, he approached the bed relief sweeping him at the sight of a woman. He pointed for Lucky's sake.

Lucky visibly relaxed too, but Sin continued to Jude's side of the bed. While he was happy to see Jude had entertained a guest, it didn't explain whatever substance was spread over the island. Anyone would tell him it wasn't any of his business, but this was his club brother and best friend thereby making it his business.

Sin nudged Jude's arm. Nothing. Again he tried, only harder. Silence. He risked bending down to Jude's face. His breathing seemed somewhat shallow. What the fuck was going on? Sin picked up Jude's wrist and checked his pulse. Slow and steady.

"Jude."

"Dude, what are you doing? He'll kill us if he finds us here."

Sin walked over to where Lucky was standing in the doorway. "You don't think it's fucking weird I can't wake his ass up? He's not a deep sleeper, there's white shit all over the counter, and he leaves his web pages wide open? Bro, Jude is a neat freak," Sin's whispered harsh.