Chapter 17

Evelyn rode over to Jude's house. She was relieved when she received his text. He didn't seem angry with her anymore. Instead, his text seemed a little playful reading: come on over for some good eats and meat.

Pressing her fingers to her lips, she tried not to bust out laughing. So what was he planning? A seduction? The old ladies she met the other day asked what she was waiting for and not to worry about her virgin issue. She was contemplating sleeping with him anyway. So why not?

At least before she had to switch sides. The thought depressed her. She didn't want to switch sides. But, if she didn't, how would the FBI get enough information to bust the Web Spinners? Evelyn brightened. Maybe when she came clean to Jude, he would hand over his computer and the FBI could do their investigation with it. Yeah, right. Pigs would fly first. She would definitely have to go back to her plan and steal it.

Something told her Jude and his club could easily take care of the Web Spinners on their own. They didn't need her help. And that was a bad thing. Once Jude found out who she really was, she'd be out. Hopefully...not permanently.

So why was she doing it? Why would she even tell him anything if she thought for one minute she was putting her very life in danger?

Mr. Manning told her not to have anything more to do with Jude. To walk away. More like ride away toward the Web Spinners and start her investigation anew.

Easier said than done. Didn't Mr. Manning understand that Jude would wonder where the hell she disappeared to? Try to find her? This was a lose, lose situation. At the end of the day, she supposed, there was no other choice. She would stick to her original plan, and confess. Confess and pray.

The resolve sent a little fission of nervous energy through her. Damn. She'd never been this nervous on a job in her whole entire life.

It was because Jude was a quiet person. Quiet people were dangerous. Not only was Jude quiet and calm, for the most part, his club seemed to be as well. Not that she had much opportunity to hang around them all, it was just the vibe they gave off. The God's Sinners seemed to have their shit together. If they didn't, their old ladies wouldn't be so good natured and happy.

All of them were relaxed and had a great time with her. People under stress wouldn't act like they did. No. Those women were happy. Honey--who wasn't an old lady--was also very hopeful to nab Sin as her man. No woman in her right mind would get with a man in an MC if the club was doing poorly, or a hot mess.

Something told her they were very opposite to the Web Spinners. It made her groan. She didn't want to be with a damn Web Spinner. But they were her paycheck now. This job was what she did for a living. She couldn't survive without money. She had to see this through.

Hopefully, her confession would make this particular job a little easier. Evelyn's lip curled. Why did she just know it was going to make everything worse?

Twisting the throttle, she accelerated into the wind. Maybe she could freeze herself to death and not have to deal with the crummy feelings this job was doing to her insides. Just freeze her heart into a cold blob. Her gut twisted when she turned up Jude's driveway. She really didn't want to do this, minus the eating part. She was starving!

Settling herself, she turned off her bike and started walking up to the front door. The garage door started to open to her surprise, and she watched Jude walk out with a bag of trash in his hand.

His smile was lopsided and sexy. Of course it was sexy. What else was new, she snorted but quickly corrected her countenance with a big smile.

"Hey there, sexy."