Chapter 24: Reception

Leon and I greeted everyone there and sat at our table waiting for the reception to start. My dad was the first one to speak.

German: I'd like to thank you all for being here during this joyous occasion. When I look at my daughter, the bride, I reflect on how much she looks like her mother. Since a little girl, Violetta has been my pride and joy, both my kids have. I'm lucky enough to have watched her grow into a beautiful young lady that I am proud of and that I know her mother is too. Today she married a young man, who I am also immensely proud to call my son in law. Lily and Lucas, you both have raised an exceptional man and now I'm happy that I can comfortably hand all my responsibilities over to him. May you both treat each other with kindness and love and remember what I said after the pool incident Leon, women are always right!

Everyone laughed as my dad finished his speech, Lily stood up.

Lily: Leon my boy, I love you so much! I am overcome with joy, excitement and happiness that you have someone to take care of you for the remainder of your life. You have chosen to marry someone who has never been more perfect for you and I am truly proud of you. Violetta my dear, I want to thank you for making my son so happy. I am grateful that you have both met your match.

Diego then stood up after Lily and said her speech.

Diego: Good evening everyone. For those of you who don't know me, my name is Diego. I'm the best man and best friend of both the bride and groom. I hope you have enjoyed your day so far and that you continue to, especially after all these soppy speeches are over. I've been given the opportunity to tell you a story about the groom, which the bride might not even know herself. I've known Leon for 7 years now, and I have never met a more transformed man in my life. When I met him, he was a real jerk. I had never met someone more arrogant in my life, that was until he met his wonderful bride. I remember the day they met, he told me that he met the prettiest girl he's ever seen. I asked him who it was, and he said her name was Violetta and that he's never met such a warm and sweet person like her before. I then asked him if he was going to go for her and he told me that he didn't think he had a chance. He said and I quote, "Guys like us don't get the girl", but here we are both with the girl of our dreams. On behalf of the groomsmen and I, we wish you both the best in your marriage. I know you will be incredibly happy together.

I began whispering in Leon's ear to comment on the story Diego had spoken about.

Violetta: Why haven't you told me that story before? It's so cute.

Leon: I just never thought this day would really come. You were always too good to be true and I didn't want what we have to ever end.

Violetta: What a cutie. I love it.

As Diego sat down, Francesca stood and said a few words.

Francesca: As many of you might not know, I'm Francesca, the maid of honour. I've also been best friends with both Violetta and Leon for a remarkably long time. Violetta and I have been friends for 9 years now. We met at my cousin's birthday party. Violetta is the type of person who when she falls in love with someone, she puts her whole heart into it. For 6 years, I've been waiting for this day more than they have. Everyone saw this coming long before they were even together. Not many people look at each other the way they do. The bridesmaids and I just want to wish you well in your marriage and may you share everything in life together. Leon, I hope you take care of my best friend and make her happy.

Leon then stood up and started with the last speech of the day.

Leon: I'm going to try to keep this speech short so that everyone can enjoy the night as soon as possible. Firstly, on behalf of my wife and I, we'd like to thank everyone for attending our wedding, it means everything to us. Thank you, German for your generous words and for the best advice anyone could ever get. Thank you for not only giving me your blessing, but for welcoming me into the family. I'm so grateful to call you and Angie my in laws. If you know Vilu, you know how courageous and compassionate she is. You've raised an extraordinary woman. I'm sure she has made you proud and I'm positive she will continue to do so. We want to thank my family for being here, mom and dad, we appreciate your attendance. Your speech was beautiful, mom. To the bridesmaids and groomsmen, thank you all for taking the time to make this day special for us. Federico, thank you for officiating our wedding, it meant the world to us. I'm glad to have a brother like you. Diego and Fran, thank you for both your lovely speeches. Thank you for making this dream a reality for us, we're so fortunate to have you both in our lives and we hope one day, you both will be in our places. Now finally, I'd like you to turn all your attention to my gorgeous bride beside me. Most of you know how Violetta and I met, so I'm not going to tell you the story again, but I'm going to tell you that before Violetta and I met, I was a different man. I was one of those self-centered, arrogant boys who never believed in true love, that was until I met her. Like Diego said, she really changed me. The day we met we immediately became friends. I remember the guys who weren't my friends at the time, asking me why I was talking to them. Violetta was the opposite of me, she was an innocent girl who was liked by everyone. Everyone wanted to be her best friend, including me. There are too many words to describe exactly how I feel about Violetta, but I'm going to try and name the ones on my mind. She is the most passionate, goal-driven woman I've ever met. She loves singing, dancing and acting more than me at times. She always wants to do something every minute of every day, some days I'm not allowed to sleep. She's so organised all the time and she loves to put me in my place, anywhere anytime. I consider myself the luckiest man in this world to be married to you, my love. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you, as my wife. Now, with that being said, let's go have some fun on the dance floor!

Leon took my hand and guided me to the dance floor. 'Love Is In The Air' started to play and we were dancing until the song ended. I then cued the DJ to play a song and took the lead.

Leon's (POV)
After my speech, I kissed her on the cheek. We danced for a full song and then she started singing the words to the song 'This Can't End'.

Violetta: I hear emotion in my voice
I know where that's coming from
It's like a light that leads me on, like it's been there all along

I then continued the song and got the whole gang to join.

Leon: I know that this is where it starts
I've waited here for the part
Diego: Where we could turn the power on and sing this with you
Violetta: We lit the fire in the dark
Follow us wherever we go
I hear them all singing along
Francesca, Violetta: And just go crazy
Ludmila: This is the place that I can fly
Ludmila, Federico: It puts a spark in my eye
Francesca: I see the stars and the light
Francesca, Violetta: And just go crazy
All: I hear my music ringing out
That feeling of a singing crowd
And it's the best I've ever felt in my heart
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I wanna jump forevermore
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
My life has got to be a blast
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I know what I am fighting for
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I'm screaming loud and moving fast
Ludmila: There's something that I know is strong
Leon: And all I need is some more
Ludmila: I get that look that says it all
Leon, Francesca: When I hear fate call
All: I hear my music ringing out
That feeling when you're singing out
And it's the best I've ever felt in my heart
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I wanna jump forevermore
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
My life has got to be a blast
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I know what I am fighting for
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I'm screaming loud and moving fast
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I wanna jump forevermore
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
My life has got to
Diego: Huh! I guess I'm getting sentimental
Leon: Because the music's influential
Diego: Follow me and you will see
Diego, Broduey: That everything you're looking for is here
Leon: So, dream a dream and fight the fight
You know that you have got the right
Broduey: Listen it's all about the love
Broduey, Leon: And nothing they can do can ever make you stop
Boys, girls in brackets: Go get it all (get it all)
Have it all (have it all)
We're getting better, getting more love
Diego: So, show them love, yeah
Leon, Federico: We're singing "Viva la Vida"
All: Now let's get on with the show (uh-uh-oh)
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I wanna jump forevermore
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
My life has got to be a blast
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I know what I am fighting for
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I'm screaming loud and moving fast!

Everyone cheered as the song ended. I then remembered that we sang this song on stage 4 years ago. After the song that day, I walked up to Violetta, smiled at her and gave her a kiss. I decided to recreate that moment after the song. I could hear everyone cheer even louder for the kiss. My entire wedding day was even more wonderful than I thought it was going to be. The rest of the night was full of dancing and singing, just how we always wanted it to be. I was married to the love of my life! It was a surreal moment and I couldn't be happier!