Chapter Thirty Eight: The beginning of the end

The trip on the Impala wasn't as quiet as Dean had wished for. After retrieving Death's ring, taking Jo, Rufus, and Anthony safely back to the church, and explaining the refugees that there were not anymore demons outside, he drove back to Balthazar's mansion which was closer to them than Bobby's. And all the travel's quietness was replaced by Delilah and Sam's constant arguments about trusting Gabriel and the ring Delilah kept safe on a golden necklace. When they finally reached the mansion, Dean almost kisses the floor and literally hugged Balthazar despite the futile attempts of the angel to walk away from Dean. They hadn't expected to find themselves not being the first visit of the evening.

"You kept your promise, Delilah, on trusting Balthazar with anything," Castiel said roughly, standing up from the chair he was in the living room. Delilah almost forgot how tall Castiel really was, how messy his black hair stood on his head, and how blue his eyes were.

"If I can keep promises, I will promise them in the first place," Delilah said surprised, "Where have you been?"

"I've been doing important stuff, at Heaven," Castiel simply responded.

"Which lowered our importance to zero?" she asked clearly infuriated. Her breathing was abnormally fast and her eyes were dark with rage, "We've been here, through problems too."

"You've managed well," Castiel answered calmly, which enraged her more. Then, he added, "Of course, I've been looking after you. Balthazar kept me informed and the latest situation," he shut in that instant. Dean was shaking his head softly, and Sam looked at him with warning, "about the rings," he added and the brothers silently sighed in relief, "I was referring to the rings."

"No you weren't, but let's assume you were," Delilah said softly and grabbed the necklace with War's ring, "this is War's. I'm not quite sure of it's authenticity, but here it is," Castiel grabbed the necklace and examined the ring cautiously. He nodded softly and a small smile parted his lips.

"It is real," he announced and everyone sighed in relief.

"Did you actually think I would shove something fake, in such a serious matter, on your pocket?" Gabriel said appearing from nowhere. He walked slowly towards Delilah and grabbed her hand softly.

"I never doubted you," Delilah answered.

"I know," he replied and looked at Castiel. Grinning, he said, "Castiel! How's everything going up there? I've heard it's madness up there."

"You've heard well, I'm afraid," Castiel said softly and lowered his gaze, "and now that you mention it," and without further notice, Castiel vanished. Dean shook his head softly and grabbed Gabriel by the collar.

"Listen to me carefully, I'll say it once, why did you send us over there if at the end the ring was in your possession?"

"You three helped in another serious matter over there, a matter, I'm concerned, it's your only attachement to reality," Gabriel answered smiling widely and walking away from Dean's grip, "Family," Gabriel said lightly. He grabbed a glass from the bar and poured wine on it, to Balthazar's unliking. Dean nodded softly, understanding. Then, Gabriel handed Delilah two more rings, "the only one left is Death."

"Gabriel," Delilah gasped and looked at the new rings on her hand, "Why?"

"You actually didn't think I was going to send you alone in such a dangerous matter?"

"Excuse you?" Dean growled.

"As I was saying, alone," Gabriel teased and kissed Delilah on the forehead. Dean huffed and Sam laughed along with Delilah, "but Death, you are going to actually pay him a visit. Illinois, Chicago."

"Well," Dean said, "Chicago it is then."