Dinner | 29

As I bite into the baked salmon that Mrs. Sangster made, Mr. Sangster sparks up a conversation.

"So, Y/n, how did you and Newt meet?" he asks.

"Well, we met at the mall at first. He literally knocked me off my feet," I say, taking another bite of my food.

"But then we actually met at my work," Newt says, smiling down at me.

"Aw, that's so cute." Mrs. Sangster says.

"I'm so happy that you're happy again, Newt." Mr. Sangster says.

"Dad, not here," Newt says, trying to stop his dad from talking.

"All I'm trying to say is that I'm happy that you found someone that treats you better than Isabelle did." Newt's dad says, trying to get his point across.

"Who's Isabelle?" I ask simply out of curiosity.

"She's just an ex-girlfriend. She moved away at the end of the school year," Newt says.

"Oh," I say, trying to avoid the awkward situation.

The rest of the dinner was kind of quiet. Every once in a while, Lizzy would talk about something random, or Mr. Sangster would talk about some annoying people at his work. Although the night was awkward, it was still nice to talk with Newt's family. We finish up dinner, and I go to help Mrs. Sangster with the dishes while Newt helps Lizzy get ready for bed.

"I'm so sorry for Mark; he speaks without thinking sometimes," she says as she hands me a dish to dry.

"Oh, it's ok, Mrs. Sangster. I know he meant well." I say.

"Oh, call me Tasha."

"Ok," I say, giving her a sweet smile.

We finish up the dishes, and Newt and I go to his room. As I walk in, I see 'The Beatles' posters and albums all over. I walk around his room, admiring every little detail of it. Newt sits on the navy blue bed and pats a spot for me beside him. I sit down and wait for Newt to talk.

"Isabelle and I ended on bad terms. That's why my dad said that he's happy that I'm not with her anymore," he says, letting out a sigh he was holding in.

"You don't need to explain your old relationships to me. It doesn't matter. All that matters is right now with you and me." I say, rubbing his back, trying to comfort him.

"Thank you," he says, tackling me on the bed.

Newt starts to tickle me, and I start to laugh. I got up and put on 'Hey Jude' by The Beatles on Newt's record player. I walk back over to Newt and pull him off the bed. I put my hands around his neck and start to sway to the rhythm. Newt starts to catch on shortly after and sways with me. We are just dancing in the middle of his room, but it feels so perfect at this moment like nothing could go wrong.

The song changes, and we lay on his bed in silence, just enjoying each other's company. My mom texted me saying she was on her way to pick me up now, so I'm just happy to have a few more minutes alone with Newt. As I lay there admiring Newt's face when I hear Mrs. Sangster say my mom is here.

Newt and I get up and walk down the stairs. We walk to the door, and I put my shoes on. I get up and give Newt a goodbye kiss and walk out the door.