Slipping through my fingers | 54

It's around one in the morning when Newt finally acknowledges my presence and I'm still drunk. I can see his pale frame slowly make its way to me. "Hey..."

"Hey Y/N, he says "Maybe we should talk,"

"Yeah... um yeah, about what?" I say confused as to what exactly he really wants to talk about. I can feel his eyes lingering on me as I stand with a slight sway.

"Maybe we should go upstairs," he says with a concerned voice. I know he's probably right but everyone is still down here partying away. It's to much work to fight with him so I nod and let him lead the way up to our room. We walk into the room and he guides me to the bed. "I'm sorry about earlier, I wasn't being the best version of myself. I just got lost in the idea of me not being as good as... as the others," he says with a cough. I can see his eyes soften and it looks like the Newt I know, the one I love.

"I can understand that but you still don't realize that no one can compare to you." I sigh and flop the upper half of my body onto the bed in desperation. "I also don't get how you don't see that being with you will always be better because I love you." as I say this Newt lays his body beside me and we just sit in peaceful silence. It's nice to be near him, I feel like I should be angry but I can't be. Just as I'm about to break the silence Newt speaks up "I love you too." I turn and pull myself closer to him, my arms snaking their way to the hem of his shirt and finding the middle of his shoulder blades. I don't know if it's because of how drinks wearing off or the fact that I'm so relieved to be in his arms again but I feel a small tear roll down the side of my face and land on his shirt as he embraces me.

*TIME SKIP*

It's only when I hear his breaths even that I decide to move, knowing that he is asleep. Slowly I make my way out of his grasp, trying not to wake him. I am successful in my attempts and move toward the door. I can see Newt move without my presence and wait a moment before leaving the room. I can feel the guilt well up in my stomach as I step down the stairs.

No one seems to be awake anymore so I slip into the kitchen where the bottles of alcohol are left. I rummage through them to see which of them contain liquor and proceed to grab the one with the most. I retreat back upstairs to the bedroom Newt and I are staying in and slip the bottle into my bag. I can hear the contents of the bottle slush as I move it. Slowly I hide it under my clothes and make my way to the bed. Newt is still sleeping at the end of the bed. He looks so peaceful and calm when he is sleeping. I could stand here for eternity, admiring the way his lips curl into a soft hidden smile, but I can't. This moment is not mine. This moment is between him and the silence that laces this room. I want to hold on to this just a little longer but I can feel it sliding through my fingers. I sit at the edge of the bed and place a hand on the side of his face. His eyes flutter open with confusion but slowly turn to joy.

"What are you doing darling? Why are you up?" He says, as he follows my movement and places a hand on my cheek. Stroking it lightly.

"I just went to get some water, thought maybe I could slip back in without waking you." I hate the feeling of lying to him, but I couldn't possibly let him know what I was doing.

"Okay. Come lay back down with me." He says, sliding himself to the left side of the bed. I shuffle under the cover and close the gap between us, moving my hands toward his waist and pulling him in.