Surprise? | 33

I walk up the steps of my house and walk in the door. My mom is still at work, so I take my bag off and lay on the couch. I grab the remote and turn on the t.v. The new episode of 'American Horror Stories' is on in a few minutes, so I get up and walk into the kitchen. I look through my pantry for a snack, I see a box of popcorn and pull one of the packets out. I take off the plastic wrap and pop it into the microwave. I sit on my kitchen counter, patiently waiting for the popcorn to be done. I pull out my phone and start to scroll through Instagram when I get a text from Newt.

*ON THE PHONE*

Newt: Hey love, are you ok? You looked sad all day, just wanted to check in. x

Y/n: Yeah, I just had a bad day. I'm ok now.

Newt: Aw, is there anything I can do?

Y/n: You could come over.

Newt: Okay, I'll be there soon. X

*IN PERSON*

I hold my phone to my chest and smile. I sit there in my own thoughts until the sound of the microwave beeping goes off and brings me back to reality. I open the microwave and pull out the burning hot popcorn. I crack open the seal on the bag, and a cloud of smoke comes from the top. I pray that it's not burnt, I grab a bowl from the top of my cupboard and pour the popcorn in it. Thankfully most of it isn't burnt. I walk back to the couch and wait for Newt to arrive. Right as 'American Horror Stories' goes to commercials, my doorbell rings. I get off the couch and walk to the front door. I open it and see Newt standing there with red roses in hand. My face lights up with a smile, and I wrap my arms around his neck. Newt leans down and gives me a quick kiss on the lips. I bring Newt inside and look for a vase to put the flowers in. I find a clear glass vase and fill it up with water. I grab the roses from the kitchen counter and place them in the water. I move the vase to the living room table and join Newt on the couch.

We are halfway through the show when Newt breaks the silence "So what happened today? Why were you crying?".

"What? I wasn't crying." I say, trying to forget about the situation.

"Yes, you were. You came back from the bathroom with tears in your eyes. I was going to ask you earlier, but we didn't have a moment alone," he says, trying to persuade me to talk.

"Did you know Minho lives around here? He's on my bus."

"Stop trying to change the subject. What's going on? I'm your boyfriend, you are supposed to trust me." he says the last part in a hushed tone.

"I do trust you," I say with a sad sigh.

"Then tell me what's going on."

"Can we just watch the t.v? I don't really want to talk about it."

"So there is something to talk about," he says with a raised eyebrow.

"Fine. Yes, I was crying, but it's fine now."

"No, it's not. Why were you crying?"

"I was crying because I miss Allie. As much as I don't want to, I miss her. I miss our late-night talks, I miss talking to her about my day. I miss when we would make snacks in the middle of the night because we couldn't sleep. I just want my best friend back, but I'm scared it's too late. I messed up everything. She's been gone for two days, and I already miss her like crazy." I let out a sigh of relief as I finish rambling about Allie.

"Love, it's not too late to talk to her. She texts Minho every day, saying how bad she feels for messing everything up. She feels the same way as you do. You guys were best friends for years. When I met you, you and Allie would die laughing at the most random things, and I just watched in awe as I thought, "I've never seen any two people so perfect for each other.". Now all I see is two people who are completely lost without each other. Talk to her, you won't regret it."