Roller rink | 34

We begin to stroll down the street, admiring the small shops and greenery as we pass. The sun has just set, and there is a nice warm breeze. As we walk, it reminds me of the first night that Newt and I hung out. I look up at Newt and smile at the fond memories.

"What are you smiling at?" Newt asks.

"Oh, nothing, just thinking," I say, turning my head back to the sidewalk.

"Okay, the surprise is just a little further."

"So, are you going to tell me what the surprise is?" I ask with the biggest puppy eyes I can possibly make.

"Then it wouldn't be a surprise, sorry love."

"Please, you said we are almost there. Please, Newt, please." I beg.

"Nope, not telling," he says with an adorable smile.

"Fine," I say with a sigh.

We continue to walk down the street, turning down the road to the ice cream shop we first met at.

"Are we getting ice cream?" I ask.

"No, we are almost there, I swear. Just wait," he says with a laugh.

"Can I please know?"

"Love, do you really want to ruin the surprise?"

"Yes, please," I whine.

"Fine, we are going to the roller rink."

"WE ARE GOING ROLLER SKATING!!" I say with excitement.

"Wow, I didn't think you'd be that happy."

"I love skating, I used to go every Sunday with my dad," I say, happy that I can make roller skating a happy memory again instead of the sad memories that were once happy.

"Aw, that sounds like it was fun," he says.

"It was, we'd go skating, and then we would get pizza and bring a slice home for Mom," I say, slightly smiling.

"We are here," Newt says, opening the door to the roller rink.

We walk in and go to the front desk. Newt and I tell the worker what our shoe sizes are, and he hands us the brightly coloured shoes. We walk to the benches and slip on the skates. As I tie the laces on my skates, I see Newt struggle to put the shoes on.

"You've never been to a roller rink before, have you?"

"Is it that easy to tell?" he asks, laughing to himself.

"It's okay, here I'll help," I say, bending down and tying his skates.

"Thank you."

"No problem. Ready to get in there?" I ask.

"Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard. Right?"

"Sure, let's say that," I say.

I stand up and skate to the rink. I turn my head to look at Newt and see him almost fall flat on his face. I immediately skate back to him and help him to the rink.

"Thank you, I really didn't think it would be this hard," he says, gripping my wrist for stability.

"It's okay, there's a bar in the rink that you can hold on to, or I can get you a walker," I say, pointing to one of the little girls using it.

"I will not be using a walker, never have and never will," he says.

"You haven't used one because you haven't been roller skating before," I say, laughing.

"I will hold on to the bar, I don't want to look like a child."

"Okay, okay. Let's just get in the rink first."

We get into the rink, and I start to skate as I watch Newt struggle to stay standing slowly. He seems to be getting the hang of it fairly quickly, and soon he starts to let go of the railing. I skate over to him and grab his hand, helping him move away from the bar and skating a little faster. As we slowly start to pick up the pace, a little boy comes barreling toward us. I try to move out of the way with Newt, but Newt falls to the ground at the sudden movement, taking me down with him. I brush off my knees with a laugh and stand up. I put my hand out to help Newt back up, and he gratefully takes it. He stands back up, and we continue to skate around, talking and laughing about random things that come to mind. We skate around for an hour or so before we decide to leave. We get off the rink and take our skates off. We give the shoes back to the man working at the counter and walk out of the roller rink.