Chapter 19: Attacca (part 1 of 3)

Music glossary:

Attacca - "To attack at once"; used as a direction in music at the end of a movement to begin the next without pause

---------

(Mood Music: "The Conversation" - Pearl Django)

Being mere months away from graduating lycée meant that their group of friends didn't have as many classes together, due to their diverse individual interests and talents. However, they always made sure to make time to hang out after school before their extracurricular activities began.

And thus, Adrien, Nino, and Alya made their way to the classroom where the art club gathered to meet up with Marinette. From there, Adrien would make his way to either fencing lessons or Chinese, depending on the day of the week. Marinette would join him on days when he had Chinese (as she'd become determined to master the language ever since her uncle visited from Shanghai a few years back), Alya would go to her journalism club, and Nino would travel to his part-time internship at the local recording studio.

"–and the backlogs just keep piling up!" Alya spoke as they walked, voice full of vigor and excitement. "I've had to recruit yet another mod to help me keep order in the forums! Especially since the Ladyblog has started going international and we've had to organize servers in different languages. You wouldn't believe how crazy it's gotten in there recently!"

"Dang, babe," Nino interjected. "Sounds like things are super rough for you right now."

"Not really, more busy than anything. Especially because I have that big research article due next week, there's just not enough hours in the day to try to read everything that goes on in there. But I have my mods report to me daily, 'cause I always like to stay on top of everything that goes on in the chats!"

"What's gotten everyone so riled up in the Ladyblog lately?" Adrien chimed in. "I don't recall it being nearly this busy last year."

The trio entered the art club's classroom and settled down at the table where Marinette sat, getting her various sketches organized. The art teacher was quite easy going, so they didn't have to talk in hushed whispers and could come and go as they pleased.

"Well, to be honest, it's because of Chat Noir," Alya replied.

Adrien tried to contain his surprise. "R-really? What– uhhh, what do people have to say about him?"

He winced inwardly. He knew he shouldn't ask. But curiosity got the better of him today. Maybe learning the news through the filter or Alya's paraphrasing instead of reading the negative comments firsthand would lessen the sting of what people said about him.

Marinette whipped her head around at the mention of his alter ego. "Wait, what about Chat Noir?" she inquired.

"Girl," Alya replied, her voice filled with renewed exuberance. "You would not believe how much we've had to censor and moderate all the inappropriate things people have been saying!"

Adrien flinched in his seat. "Wow... do people really hate him that much?" he asked, trying to conceal the dejection in his voice.

Alya busted out into loud guffaws. "Hate?! Dude, most people don't hate him; they LOVE him! By 'inappropriate' comments, I mean the kinda stuff you wouldn't want your grandma to catch you reading! There's a whole giant section dedicated to his new fan club!" she said as she removed her glasses so she could wipe away the tears of laughter.

"WHAT?!" Adrien squawked in confusion, his face feeling hotter than the ovens back at the bakery. "A fan club??"

Marinette burst into uncontrollable snickering. "Has it really gotten that bad?!"

Nino joined in, "Bro! Adrien, I can't believe you haven't heard Alya rant about these rabid fans before! They call themselves the 'Noir Nation', and the kind of things they've been writing would make adult romance authors blush like schoolgirls!"

Alya nodded, thoroughly amused. "And that's not including all the fanfiction people have been writing."

"Wait– the WHAT?! There's fanfiction?!!" Marinette gaped in shock, as if she'd been hit in the face with an enormous pie. "Alya, how come I never knew about this?!"

"Why? You wanna read em? Girl, you'll get no judgment from me. If you wanna check 'em out for yourself, just go check under the hashtag 'Ladynoir'."

Marinette stammered as her arms flailed in her bewilderment, accidentally knocking her phone off the table and onto the floor, her eyes bigger and rounder than Adrien had ever seen them. "They have a ship name?!" she screeched.

"Just mind the ratings though," Alya advised. "Some of them can get pretty steamy. You wouldn't want someone to catch you reading those in public," she added with a wink.

Marinette continued to sputter incoherently. "NO, I am NOT gonna read it!! It would be different if they were fictional characters, but I could never read fanfiction about real people!"

Alya raised a skeptical eyebrow at her. "Mm-hmm... Sure."

Marinette's hands flew to her face, trying to hide how red her entire face had gotten, and released a long squeak that resembled a hamster on helium. As shocked as Adrien was about these rather unexpected news, seeing Marinette's over-the-top reaction brought a wide grin to his face and he busted out laughing.

He bent over to retrieve Marinette's phone, since she was too busy being mortified to notice it had fallen to the floor. As he was about to hand it back, the screen lit up and Adrien saw the lockscreen wallpaper: it was the same photo of Ladybug and Chat Noir that he himself had saved earlier that day. He smiled, not exactly sure what to make of it, but finding it adorable that she'd liked the photo enough to set it as her lockscreen.

He tapped her shoulder, waiting for her to respond. She emerged from behind her impromptu hand shield and turned her head, then her eyes widened once again as soon as she saw what Adrien was showing her. She jolted straight up, stiff as a board, and her eyes met his, cheeks turning tomato red. He winked at her, amused about this little secret between them, and handed back her phone without a word.

Marinette accepted it with a meek-sounding, "Thanks," looking like she wanted to explain the photo, but not able to do so unless she wanted Alya and Nino to find out that she was potentially a... ahem– "Ladynoir" shipper.

Switching the conversation to something else (which Marinette seemed to be eternally grateful for), the group chatted until it became time for them to scatter to their next destinations.

With a wave, Adrien exited the classroom and headed towards fencing practice, one of the few activities he decided to stick with despite not being forced to participate. Fencing, along with Chinese lessons, were not only enjoyable, but were also quite useful. Sadly, he didn't have access to a piano anymore, so he wasn't able to pursue that hobby for the time being. Hopefully later down the line, when things had settled down and he'd found his own place to live, he'd be able to finance one.

Thinking about the future had become an exciting pastime instead of an anxiety-inducing one, and it was all thanks to his friends and those he cared about. He smiled as he reached the door to the locker rooms, continuing to daydream of what was to come.

---

(continued in part 2)