Chapter 16: Legato (Part 2 of 3)

(Mood Music: You Don't See Me - Safetysuit)

A short while later, Nino and Alya arrived together at the Dupain-Cheng residence. At the door, Marinette greeted them with a smile and invited them inside.

From across the street, a certain tall, blonde, bespectacled figure peeked from behind a tree, deciding to wait a few minutes before making his own entrance.

"It looks like your girlfriend was able to tame her Wrestlemania hair after all," Plagg whispered from inside Adrien's pocket.

Adrien poked him gently with his finger. "Hush, she's not my girlfriend," he admonished.

"Oh that's right, I forgot," Plagg replied. "You already have a secret girlfriend, according to everyone's favorite international celebrity, Lila Rossi."

He rolled his eyes. "Ladybug's not my girlfriend either," he corrected him again.

Plagg poked him back. "And how did you know I meant Ladybug?"

"W-well, I-I just..." Adrien stammered, his body growing hot in spite of the crisp autumn weather. "It was implied. Anyway, we're not in a relationship."

"Not yet, you mean?" Plagg inquired with a quirked brow.

"Plagg! That's not– I mean... not that I'd mind–AUGH, wait! That's not what I meant to say!!" he whisper-shrieked as an even more intense wave of heat traveled down his torso. "Let's just go. I can't spend a bunch of time trying to figure out what kind of relationship we have, or we'll be late."

"You could always ask her tonight during patrol," Plagg suggested with an eyebrow waggle. "Unless your mouths find something more 'fun' to do instead."

Adrien let out a choked whine, covering his face with his hands. Instead of answering, he scurried down the sidewalk, trying his hardest to ignore the muffled cackles emerging from his clothes.

He rang the doorbell and waited. A few moments passed and the door opened to reveal Alya, who greeted him with a smile.

"Hey, buddy! Glad you could make it! Come on in!"

She led him upstairs to the family room, where everyone's study materials and textbooks were already spread out onto the dining table.

"Hi, Adrien!" Marinette called from the kitchen area as they walked past. "Make yourself comfortable, I'm just getting us some refreshments."

Adrien greeted her back, making sure to compliment how pretty she looked today (to which she replied with a small "EEP!!" and a flustered, stuttered, "Thank you") then he walked over to join Nino.

"Dude! Long time no see!" he said excitedly, standing up to welcome him and give him a tight hug.

Adrien chuckled as he squeezed back. "I know, right? It's been almost twenty-four hours! I was starting to go through best bro withdrawals!" He set his backpack down and began laying out his own notes and textbooks.

A few minutes passed as they chatted and got situated, but Adrien couldn't quite focus on the conversation. He was too busy casting (apparently not so furtive) glances towards the door, curiously awaiting whoever else would be attending their study group.

Sensing his restlessness, Nino asked, "Hey bro, you looking for something?"

Adrien shrugged. "Oh, I was just wondering–"

A loud clatter of pots and pans interrupted their conversation, punctuated by a loud "EEEEEK!!", and the group's heads whipped towards the kitchen in alarm.