Chapter 4: Waltz

Content warning: Panic attack

----------------------------------------------------

Mood Music: Medley from Frozer and Mayura (piano) - arranged by Corpington

I can't believe I'm doing this, I can't believe I'm doing this, why am I doing this, this is super dumb, this is a very bad idea, why am I going through with it, do I look okay, do I have lipstick on my teeth, why did I have to open my big mouth, why do I turn into a numbskull anytime I'm around him, why does he have to be so dang wonderful and gorgeous and kind and — Ladybug anxiously rambled and fretted internally as she walked towards the designated meeting area at the Trocadero.

Sighing, she looked up the Sunday evening movie times for the 10th time and checked her cardigan pockets (yet again) to make sure she'd brought enough money for snacks. While she knew that Adrien could afford his own fare, she wasn't sure if she'd be the one to pay because she was the one who invited him.

What even is date protocol?! What even is date protocol when you're a SUPERHERO?

Marinette had only ever gone on a handful of dates, none going further than awkwardly holding hands or maybe a quick peck on the cheek at the end. Her parents were high school sweethearts, which meant they were of no real help to her because they had spent practically every waking moment together since they were kids; the way they'd gone about their courtship was entirely relaxed, natural, and informal. So essentially, she was entirely lacking in experience in this field.

She finally spotted said object of her affections leaning against a pillar wearing a red zip-up hoodie, as promised. He wore his hood up, and yet he almost seemed to glow ethereally despite the dim evening light. Taking a deep breath, she walked towards him in what she hoped looked like a carefree and relaxed gait and not like a platypus, which is what she felt like in her disguise. To borrow a phrase from her school nemesis: utterly ridiculous.

A few dozen meters away, Adrien rubbed his hands nervously, then opted to stick them in his pockets to try to avoid drawing attention to himself. Plagg had snickered the whole way there and even now he kept busting out into fits of uncontrollable giggles every so often. Adrien rolled his eyes. Maybe Plagg was right and this was a horrible idea. And although Plagg did eventually warm up to the concept of going on a date with Ladybug, Adrien suspected that it was just because he wanted to watch him crash and burn.

He shook his head in determination, reminding himself that he was there on a mission: to investigate and determine whether Ladybug was trustworthy or whether she was two-faced.

Behind him someone abruptly cleared their throat. He turned to look at whoever was trying to get his attention and came face to face with a stunning young woman wearing a stylish, long sleeved cardigan and a flowing mid-length skirt. Her long, raven hair was in a low ponytail and she sported large Hello Kitty eyeglasses with tinted lenses that looked slightly out of place with the rest of her ensemble but somehow pulled the look together nonetheless.

"Hello," he greeted. "Can I help you?" The thought entered his mind that maybe this was one of his fans and she had recognized him despite wearing his hood.

"Um," the young woman replied, rubbing her arm nervously. "Hi Adrien. It's me." She waved with a gloved hand and smiled shyly, her lips shimmering with a soft pink lip gloss.

Adrien moved closer so he could see her face more clearly. He squinted for a moment, then his eyes widened in recognition. He gave a small gasp and started to exclaim, "Ladyb--!"

Ladybug surged forward and put her hand over his mouth, and raised her other hand to made a "Shh" sign. Adrien finally noticed that she was wearing her mask under the tinted glasses. He realized that she was transformed under the clothes she was wearing. He had half expected her to show up as herself, although, all things considered, that may have been a very bad idea. He had also wondered if she'd show up in her civilian form and potentially reveal her identity, but Ladybug wasn't reckless enough to do something like that. He hadn't considered the possibility of her wearing a disguise over a disguise.