Chapter 15: Bravura (Part 3 of 5)

(Mood Music: "L'Indifference" - Café Accordion Orchestra)

For once, Marinette Dupain-Cheng managed to make it to school on time, having set her alarm for an earlier time just to make sure. Tardiness always seemed to be her calling card, but she was determined to not let this happen today; not after all her preparations from the night before.

And so she walked into her first class, happy to see a room full of (mostly) friendly faces. Alya smiled at her from her desk across the room, waving her over enthusiastically. Marinette returned the smile and headed towards her.

She gave a wide berth to Lila and their teacher, who stood by the door. The new teacher listened, enraptured, about the stylish Italian girl's most recent trip to the Malagasy islands and how she single-handedly founded a lemur rescue organization. Marinette fought the urge to roll her eyes and quietly passed them by, without challenging the validity of her claims.

Not today, she told herself. Not on the first day of school.

On her way towards her best friend, Marinette also walked past Chloe Bourgeois, her former bully. They made eye contact and gave each other a brief nod.

"Chloe," Marinette greeted her plainly.

"Dupain-Cheng," Chloe acknowledged in return, then turned her full attention back to her phone, vigorously texting someone with a dragon profile picture.

Marinette couldn't quite call Chloe her friend, though they were definitely more than just acquaintances. They'd come to a sort of unspoken truce a couple of years back. They'd both done some growing up these past few years, and for that, Marinette was grateful. Especially since this arrangement made it possible for them to remain mutual friends with Adrien.

Marinette went up the steps to where her best friend sat, and they greeted each other with a hug.

"Hey, Alya! No Nino?"

"Nah, looks like we only have three classes together this year, bummer." Alya shrugged. "But that means I get to sit next to my Mari-bean!"

Marinette noticed a markedly cheery-looking Adrien entering the classroom, only to be stopped by Lila at the door, who flipped her hair theatrically and batted her exaggeratedly long (and most likely false, hmmph!) eyelashes at him.

She decided to ignore it and turned around to fully face her wavy-haired friend. "So, how was your weekend? Did you and your aforementioned husbando do anything fun?" she asked with a knowing smile.

Alya's cheeks darkened, but she tried to cover up her blushing by pretending to adjust her hair. "Well, we did get ahold of the new Super Pinguino III. You'll have to play it sometime and try to beat our high score."

Marinette giggled. "I dunno, that might be the one game where I'll never be able to beat you."

"Well, we'll just have to see about that," she gave her a wide smile in return. She exclaimed (rather loudly even by her standards), "By the way, Marinette! Your outfit looks AMAZING! Don't you think so too, Adrien?"

Marinette's eyes widened and she whipped around to realize Adrien was headed their way. Her face felt like she was sticking it inside a furnace, and suddenly she felt quite naked, wanting nothing more than to hide in a dark corner somewhere rather than display the outfit she'd meticulously chosen the night before. What if it was too much? What if she was overdressed? What if everyone could tell she was trying too hard? What if it was way too last-season and not avant-garde enough? Or what if it was too avant-garde and she should have dressed more conservatively?! What if–

Adrien's eyes met hers and he gave her the brightest, broadest, most radiant smile, so stunning it should be illegal, so resplendent that it caused her brain to suddenly fizzle.

"Absolutely! You look beautiful, Marinette," he said, his voice so earnest and sincere that Marinette felt she might combust on the spot.

Marinette wasn't sure how long she'd been standing there, mouth agape, feeling like her feet were no longer touching the ground, when Alya nudged her with her elbow, coaxing her to reply.

And reply she did. Or at least, she tried; for only for a brief noise somewhere between a croak and a squeak managed to emerge from her throat.

"Uhh, I think Marinette means 'Thank you," Alya replied helpfully.

Marinette nodded enthusiastically. "Y-YES!! That's right!! Th-thank you, Adrien!" she stammered, forcing the air out of her lungs.

Adrien beamed at her. "It's great to see you guys again. I'm really glad we have our first class together this year. It'll be a great way to start off the day."

He waved goodbye to them, then walked to sit at the empty seat next to Chloe, who greeted him with a loud, happy squeal and friendly cheek kisses, then proceeded to talk rapidly about a subject way too complex for Marinette's current brain-dead state of gleeful stupefaction.

And most definitely too dumbstruck to notice the daggers Lila was glaring at her from across the room.