Chapter 8: Abbandono (part 2 of 4)

(PLEASE READ PART 1 FIRST)

--CURRENT TIMELINE--

(Mood Music: Reborn - Abel Korzeniowski)

Chat Noir leaped and sprinted towards his mansion on autopilot; pulse thrilling, limbs aching, and yet he felt none of it. The only thing he could register was the steadily climbing resentment and indignation as he thought back to every interaction, every snub, all the unfairness, mistreatment, and neglect he'd suffered (as well as repressed) throughout the past few years.

He'd seen the signs of Gabriel's downward spiral. They were subtle at first, but unmistakable. And yet he had stubbornly continued to ignore them. He'd even rationalized them, always coming up with some excuse or explanation so he wouldn't have to face the music. He realized it now; his passiveness had been his gravest mistake.

Upon reaching the last building on the block before his destination, Chat skidded to a halt. In the past, when he returned home, he would take a winding route so as to lose anyone who might try to follow, and once he was sure he was alone, enter through the back way. Today, he didn't care who saw him standing on the roof in front of his home. He crouched in silence, staring at the Agreste manor; it looked just as imposing, dreary, and lifeless on the outside as it felt on the inside.

He squared himself, trying to calm his nerves. Gabriel would be expecting him. Chat bit his lip, realizing that he still had no idea what to say to him. But then again, he wasn't the type to go into things with a plan anyway; improvisation was more his style.

Finally, he stood and took a deep breath. Here goes nothing.

Adrien had scarcely landed in his bedroom and detransformed when he was sharply yanked by the arm towards the couch. There was a duffel bag and a pile of clothes haphazardly thrown in, as well as some toiletries and other necessities. He also spotted a large wad of cash and... was that his passport?

Nathalie shut the zipper and practically threw the bag into his arms. "Adrien, you need to leave," she uttered low as she briskly walked him back towards the large windows, the unmistakable dread in her eyes betraying her seemingly calm exterior. "Now," she added emphatically, noting his lack of movement.

Taken aback, Adrien stammered, "Nathalie, wha–?"

She continued, indistinct, "You're going to get on the metro and take the train out of Paris– any destination, it doesn't matter. Leave your phone here; he can track you if you take it with you. When you arrive, check into a hotel, then–"

"Wait! Nathalie!" he called louder to get her attention. "What's going on?" He stared, bewildered, as Plagg peeked his head out of his shirt pocket, slowly biting into a piece of Camembert.

The woman frowned and asked rhetorically, "Were you not there during the last akuma battle?! There's no time to discuss this; you need to leave the city."

"Hang on, I can't leave Paris!" Adrien protested.

She fixed him with an intense stare. "I don't think you truly understand the situation, Adrien. Gabriel is your father, but he is also Hawkmoth. And, as of earlier today, your enemy. An enemy who knows who you are, where you live, where you sleep. Not only is he planning to take your miraculous; he's going to place you under permanent house arrest. In fact, the term 'house arrest' is way too mild a description, but I'm sure you get the idea." She took his shoulder and continued to walk him towards the window. "Now, go, before he realizes you're here."

Adrien knitted his brows and planted his feet. "Wait! But what about you? What about Ladybug?"

Nathalie replied dismissively, "I'll be fine; he won't even know I was involved with your departure. And Ladybug, she'll continue to handle herself as she always has. But with you gone, we can at least guarantee that Hawkmoth won't get ahold of both miraculouses, in the event that she's defeated."

Adrien's eyes widened at this statement. "No. No! This is exactly why I can't leave. I can't leave her by herself against Father." He ran a hand through his hair nervously. "I won't let what happened today happen again. She needs me. She can't just keep defeating his akumas over and over; Father needs to be actually stopped. We need to take his miraculous away. And it's going to take both of us to do it."

Nathalie snapped. "You can't beat him! He's developed the abilities from his miraculous far beyond what you could've ever thought capable and unlocked much of its potential; far more than you have with your own."

Adrien could only stare in shock as she continued to speak.

She sighed, letting go of his shoulder. "Ladybug can deal with Hawkmoth. She'll either defeat him, or she won't. But your priority should be to stay as far away as possible and be safe. You need to think of yourself, Adrien."

He shook his head. "I'm done thinking only about myself. It's what I've been doing for years, just blindly following orders. I need to start doing what's right instead of always sticking to what's safe."

Nathalie narrowed her eyes in equal parts consternation and puzzlement. "So what will you do instead?"

Adrien set down the duffel bag and took a step away from her towards his bedroom door, motioning with his hand. "I'll talk to him. I can reason with him, I know I can. There must be some part of him that's still willing to listen."

Nathalie paced back and forth, placing both hands on her face, almost as if she was trying to keep her body from exploding. With a hint of desperation, she implored, "Adrien... please reconsider."

"Nathalie... I know you're worried, but I can't–" his voice cracked, and he had to pause for a few seconds. "I can't leave Mom here with him," he declared with finality, tone heavy and full of sadness.

Nathalie deflated and she lowered her head, squeezing her eyes shut. He'd pulled the "Emilie" card. She knew immediately that she wasn't going to win this argument.

Somewhere deep down, Nathalie had truly always believed Emilie could be re-awakened. It was one of the biggest reasons why she'd stayed with the Agrestes all these years.

She missed her too; Emilie was her best friend. Her pillar of strength. The light in her heart. The woman that she'd always loved from afar since childhood, never acting on her feelings until it was too late. And yet, she still could never leave her side. She had to remain part of her life, even if her secret would die with her. When Emilie "disappeared", Nathalie took it upon herself to protect everything that was most important to her beloved. She had already failed with Emilie's husband. But she would not allow it to happen with her only son too.

She sighed heavily. "Just... be careful, Adrien. You don't know what he's truly capable of. I swore to Emilie that I'd do my best to take care of you, before she— before..."

Adrien walked towards her and placed his hands on her shoulders reassuringly. "I know," he said quietly, smiling, although it didn't reach his eyes. "Everything's going to be okay." Plagg looked up at him, concern etched on his tiny features.

Nathalie was a tall woman, but now that Adrien was older and only a few weeks shy of being an official adult, he had already surpassed her height. In spite of this, even now, she continually struggled to remember that he wasn't a child anymore. Nathalie's tired eyes met Adrien's, and she shakily reached up to squeeze one of his hands, a bit harder than she'd intended but he didn't seem to notice.

With nothing more to be said, Adrien plodded out of the room as if his legs were made of lead, and Nathalie was left alone with the overwhelming sense of foreboding raging in her chest.

-------------

(CONTINUED IN PART 3)