Chapter 3: Ensemble

(Mood Music: Under the Sky of Paris · Andre Rieu)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Marinette furrowed her brows in discontent. It had been a night of fretful sleep, her mind a furious whirlwind of emotions. She couldn't get Chat Noir out of her thoughts. His melancholy expression, the fear in his eyes, his hopeful smile, his gentleness... She just had to find a way to help him.

Languidly sipping her drink, she wondered what she should do. Defeating Hawkmoth was still the number one priority. If Chat Noir were to join her, it would definitely turn the tide. However, she wasn't sure if he'd be willing, or even able to. It would be asking a lot from him, especially since it sounded like his father controlled every aspect of his life, including whether or not he got to keep his own miraculous. If Hawkmoth detected any signs of defiance, Chat might be powerless or even in danger before he even got the chance to make a decision about it.

Fighting by herself all these years had been challenging, to say the least. Practically from the very beginning of her career as Ladybug she had all but pleaded Master Fu to give some of the other miraculouses away so that she could have allies, but he'd always been vehemently against it. It was understandable though, she supposed. After giving away the most powerful two miraculouses and unexpectedly have one of them so grossly misused, he insisted that they couldn't risk any others falling under Hawkmoth's control. Especially since he had given the miraculous to another boy around her age, and the people Marinette trusted the most (and would subsequently recruit for help) were her peers. On the outside, Chat Noir had seemed perfect for the job... but Fu couldn't have predicted things would happen as they did.

No, she concluded. Master Fu was right; they couldn't have yet another miraculous fall under Hawkmoth's control; it was out of the question. Fu had already been through enough, having paid for his mistakes as a guardian. All things considered, Marinette knew he was trying his best. With no other allies, it was up to her alone to defend the city and retrieve the butterfly miraculous and, if things didn't go as she hoped, the cat miraculous as well. Her heart ached just thinking about it.

She frowned and her resolve strengthened. She would help Chat Noir as best as she could, in whichever way ended up being the best for him. If that meant taking his miraculous and freeing him from Hawkmoth's control, she would do it, albeit begrudgingly. But she had faith that he would change his mind on his own, and held onto the belief that he would rebel against Hawkmoth despite their close association.

"Marinette?"

Chat had said that they wanted the Ladybug miraculous for a good cause. Who were they doing all of this for? Why was it so important that--

"Marinette!!"

Marinette's head shot up and she shrieked, losing her balance on the chair and nearly falling over.

"Girl, are you alright?" Alya rubbed Marinette's back and gave her a sympathetic look. "You've been totally spaced out all afternoon! Is something on your mind?"

Marinette's head lowered a bit and she shrugged. "Sorry, Alya. I guess I just didn't sleep well last night. Shouldn't have had that latte so late in the day, I guess!" she fake-laughed.

Alya raised an eyebrow skeptically. "Well, if you say so," she acquiesced, then leaned over and lowered her voice, "but be sure to tell me if something really is bothering you or if you need help with anything. Okay, Mari?"

Marinette grinned widely. She reached over and gave her best friend a hug. "I will. Thanks, Alya."

Alya squeezed back lovingly and kissed her forehead. "Just try to take it easy. School hasn't even started yet but you already seem stressed out. Relax, take a dip in the pool." She stood up and tugged lightly on Marinette's arm, signaling to the pool with her head. "Come with me, I'm about to go back in myself."