Chapter 12: Andante (Part 2 of 4)

(Mood Music: Under Paris Skies - Pearl Django)

As he had only one set of clothes, Adrien resigned himself to the fact that it was time to do some shopping. He didn't want to go by himself, however; it didn't feel safe. He had no idea if Gabriel knew he was still alive. He might have dispatched people to search for Adrien and... "collect" him back to the mansion.

Plus, he disliked shopping and could use some company.

So here he was, standing outside of Chloe Bourgeois' room at the Grand Paris Hotel.

He'd scarcely knocked once when the door swung open, a clearly miffed Chloe standing on the other side.

"You're late!! Where have you been– Oh, Adrikins! It's you!" Her face softened and gave him a brilliant smile, kissing his cheeks in greeting, then brought him into a tight hug. "Come in! It's been ages!"

Before he could get a word in edgewise, he was quickly ushered into the room.

They sat on the elegant, pristine couches of her lounge room. Chloe crossed her legs and reclined into the cushions, placing her hands behind her head in her usual carefree way.

"So, to what do I owe the pleasure, my dearest Adrichou?"

Adrien took a breath and opened his mouth–

"Wait," Chloe interrupted, holding her hand up, then sat up straight and leaned forward. She took a pause, looking him over. Analyzing. Scrutinizing. She scrunched her face in consternation, brows creasing in the middle. "I know that look," she finally said, crossing her arms. "Something's happened, hasn't it?"

Adrien's eyes grew wide and he suppressed a wince. How were all these women able to read him so well these past few days?? He shrugged indifferently for her benefit, mentally preparing himself to attempt to convince her that everything was fine and she was just imagining things.

Before he could say anything though, Chloe interjected sharply, "And don't you dare try to lie to me, Adrien Agreste. I'm your oldest friend; I'll know. Tell me everything, or I'll kick you out."

Adrien's shoulders slumped and he exhaled. How is she doing this?!

Eyeing Chloe to make sure she didn't have anything else to say, he began, "Father and I had a... disagreement."

"I knew it!!" Chloe declared, throwing her hands up in the air.

He continued with a cringe, "And I... kinda sorta ran away from home." He looked up at her timidly, hoping she wouldn't yell at him for his recklessness.

"Do you have anywhere to stay?" she asked instead, without missing a beat, her voice now serious and full of concern. "You're always welcome here, you know that. Just say the word and it's done."

Adrien smiled broadly. Despite all her faults, Chloe's loyalty never faltered.

"I really appreciate that, Chlo. It means a lot." He sighed, plopping backwards onto the couch. "I can't though. Father knows this is the first place I'd go. But don't worry, I've got... housing arrangements elsewhere. So I'll be fine."

She sat up straight, scooting towards the edge of the couch and leaning towards him expectantly. "Yeah?? Where at? It's okay, I can keep a secret–" She stopped herself. "Err... wait. Actually, no. No, I can't. So don't tell me or I'll accidentally blab everything to the first person who asks."

Adrien chuckled. "Alright. Anyway, since I left in such a hurry, I didn't bring any clothes with me. So I was wondering if–"

"OOOH, A SHOPPING TRIP!!" Chloe squealed, clapping and practically bouncing in her seat. "Yes, I'd love to join you!"