Chapter 15: Bravura (Part 5 of 5)

(Mood Music: "No One Knows Who I Am" - (Jekyll & Hyde, the musical) Frank Wildhorn)

The last period of the day went by more sluggishly than any other she'd ever experienced in her life. Marinette's mind replayed that conversation a seemingly infinite amount of times by the time the bell rang and it was time to go home. She lethargically packed up her belongings and left the classroom.

Before she reached the locker room, however, a hand gently tapped her on the shoulder, and she turned around.

It was Adrien. Of course. It just had to be him.

He meekly asked if he could talk to her in private. She agreed. They stepped into an emptied room, and he looked around to make sure no one else was present.

"I'm... sorry about the awkwardness from before, Mari," he muttered uneasily. 

"It's okay, I'm just sorry you got put on the spot," she replied, twisting her hands together, her shoulders tense with discomfort.

He seemed to squirm a bit himself as he continued, "D-did... Did you see...?" He gestured towards his scarf.

Marinette froze and her gaze dropped to the ground. She couldn't get herself to speak, so she nodded.

Adrien took a deep breath. "W-would it be too much trouble if I asked you to not tell anyone? Things could get really difficult for me if- if people were to find out."

Marinette's head bobbed up and down quickly. "I-it's okay! I won't say anything! I-I don't want to get you into trouble. Anytime you need help, I'll be here." 

Before she knew it, she was being pulled into a brief hug. She willed her arms to hug him back, although she couldn't really feel her body right now.

Adrien let go of her and put his hands on her shoulders in reassurance. "I promise everything is going to be okay. Everything is fine now. Trust me. Thank you, Marinette."

Marinette's mouth smiled back, and she heard her own voice say, "Anytime." 

Adrien thanked her again, and opened the door to leave. "See ya tomorrow."

"S-see you," she called back.

The door closed behind him, and Marinette was left alone. Everything felt like it was steeped in a thick haze. As if she was stranded in a vast fog with no discernable way to go. She felt hollow, yet heavy, which didn't make a single bit of sense. A gaping, empty hole where her chest was, ripped away suddenly and without warning.

Is this... is this what heartbreak feels like?

Chat landed on Marinette's balcony and knocked on the hatch five times, as they'd previously agreed. He listened for any of the code phrases or sounds that they'd gone over and practiced. There was no answer, which could only mean that she wasn't home yet. However, since the latch was always unlocked for him now that they were roommates, he had permission to enter.

He felt pretty silly wearing a backpack as Chat Noir, so he didn't dally in her bedroom, and instead went to drop it off in his own room.

Chat wondered what could be going through Marinette's head after she saw his bruising. Had she figured out that Gabriel was abusive? She'd agreed to trust him, so maybe she believed he'd been able to work out his home situation. Did she think he still lived back at the mansion?

He plopped face down on the sofa. UGH, this all sucked. He didn't want to lie to her, but he couldn't tell her the truth, either. She was the nicest girl, and all he'd been doing lately was be dishonest with her. Not without reason, but still. He felt horrible about it.

And she'd looked so out of it at the end of school. He wondered what might have happened to her, since she'd seemed in such high spirits at the beginning of the school day. And what was that weirdness with Lila all about?

He didn't have to wonder long, because a few moments later, his cat ears perked up as he heard footsteps that led to the front door. He sat up and turned around, excitedly awaiting her arrival.

Marinette opened the door and entered the living area. She closed the door and silently set her backpack down. He got up to greet her, but something was wrong. Her whole aura was different. Even in the dim late afternoon light, Chat could see the weariness in her expression, the sadness in her posture.

"Mari...?"

Several long strides later and he was there, in front of her, holding her by the arms.

"Mari, what happened?!" he asked more urgently. "Are you okay??"

She looked up at him, her glassy blue eyes becoming damp. Then she crashed into him, gripping him like he was the only thing keeping her from sinking into a sea of quicksand.

She cried, and he held her. He was desperate to know what had happened, but he waited, stroking her hair, running his fingers through it soothingly, not pushing her, but always willing to listen.

Finally, after a few moments, she spoke. "There's someone else," she whispered simply.

Then he understood.

Chat held her, and she sobbed quietly, and together they slumped to the ground. She didn't need words of comfort, or any reassurance that she didn't need this guy, or to be told that she was too good for him, or that there were other fish in the sea. She didn't need to be told any of those things. All they needed at this moment was each other. And that was enough.

*~*

~*~*~

This chapter was soooo hard to write! Writing Lila sure is fun though! You get to tap into the evil side of yourself that just wants to cause a bit of trouble! XD

Speaking of which, here is some art of what older Lila looks like in this AU! >:3

Thank you guys for reading!! <3