Chapter 14: Rubato (Part 2 of 2)

(Continued from part 1)

(Mood Music: "Never Say No" - Abel Korzeniowski (Penny Dreadful Soundtrack)

The pair peeked out from behind a wall, locating the akuma, who was still searching for them after Ladybug's mysterious disappearance.

Ladybug whispered to Chat, "Do you have any idea where her akuma could be hiding?"

"I think it's in her necklace. It lights up right before she uses her powers." 

Ladybug looked around, searching for more clues, as Chat stood behind her, resting his hands on her shoulders, keeping guard. All the streets and buildings were so dark, it was hard for her to see anything. Occasionally she would ask Chat to read out a sign or placard, taking advantage of his night vision. Squinting, Ladybug's eyes landed on a certain building, and finally an idea planted itself into her brain.

"So... she sucks up all the light around her, like her own version of a black hole." She brought out the small, polka dotted lightbulb, turning it with her fingers. "But what if we give her more light than she can handle?"

Chat noticed the building she was eyeing. "Got a plan?" he asked curiously.

"I think so. You think you can lure her into that shop?"

Chat stepped away with a cheerful salute. "Can do!"

"Great! Give me a minute or so to set everything up. Once you're inside, follow my lead," she instructed.

Chat winked at her. "Aye aye, partner! See you soon!"

A few well-timed puns and taunts later, Chat had the akuma exactly where he wanted her. He baited and goaded her into the building (which turned out to be a photography studio), as Ladybug had instructed.

Indoors, however, the tight quarters made it much more difficult to keep the akuma occupied and stay out of harm's way. As they reached the middle of the studio, Chat backed up into a lone tripod and lost his footing. The akuma used the opportunity to strike him with an uppercut that landed him on the ground, disoriented.

"I guess I have to put you down first before I can take care of your Lady friend," she said as she raised her blackened palm towards Chat, the pendant in the middle of her chest beginning to glow.

Before she fired, however, she heard Ladybug call, "Hey, Night Terror! Leave my Kitty alone and watch the birdie instead!"

The woman looked around in confusion to find the source of the voice, only to be met by a cacophony of camera clicks and dozens of rapidly flashing lights. Ladybug quickly replaced the flash lightbulbs with fresh ones to continue the onslaught of light, and Chat used the opportunity to knock the akuma over with his staff. The woman shielded her eyes helplessly as she fell with a sharp cry, and Chat yanked the necklace away from her. He flung it across the room to Ladybug, who threw it on the ground and stomped on it.

"Off you go, you pesky butterfly," Ladybug grumbled as the purified akuma fluttered away. She called for the Miraculous Cure and tossed the polka dotted flash bulb into the air, and everything around them quickly went back to normal.

The former akumatized victim sat on the floor, massaging her temple with a light groan.

"Uggghhh, where am I?"

Chat Noir knelt down beside her and asked, "Are you alright, ma'am?"

The woman turned her head towards him, opening her mouth to answer, but shrieked upon recognizing who was speaking to her. "Chat Noir!! S-stay back! Wh-what do you want?!"