Chapter 12: Andante (Part 4 of 4)

Mood Music: Somewhere Only We Know- Keane (Max Schneider, Elizabeth Gillies, and Kurt Schneider cover)

Evening came and the city of Paris buzzed with activity, as it was the last weekend of summer vacation. Ladybug breathed in the crisp night air, hopping from roof to roof to rendezvous with her partner. A few blocks away from the Louvre, the quiet, unassuming edifice of the Saint Germain l'Auxerrois stood tall and stoic, as it always did; its stately gothic arches and ancient pillars contrasting with the chaotic energy and noise of its modern surroundings.

Ladybug spotted the distant figure of Chat Noir at the balcony of the church's bell tower, where they'd agreed to meet. He leaned on the railing, looking content as he observed the scenery.

She nimbly landed beside him and chirped, "Hey, you!"

He turned around, his countenance brightening instantly. "My Lady! It's so great to see your lovely face again."

Ladybug's insides fluttered upon hearing him use her usual nickname, the feeling becoming increasingly familiar the more time she spent with him, both in and out of the costume.

"Um, I brought some snacks from a little shop down the street," she said, lifting up a small bag to demonstrate.

"Yum! That sounds wonderful, thank you!" Chat reached into his belt pocket, bringing out a small, rectangular box. "And I brought some playing cards!"

"Cool! I love card games! Where'd you get them?" she asked, feigning ignorance.

Chat rubbed the back of his neck and smiled wide, his cheeks becoming rosy; a look that was simply adorable on him. "Marinette gave them to me, actually. She got me some boxes full of really amazing stuff she thought I'd like. And I swear, she's gotta have magical powers or something, 'cause they were all totally spot on." He rubbed his arm absently. "She's so nice... I can't believe she went out of her way just to help me feel more at home."

Ladybug's cheeks grew warm, feeling almost guilty for hearing him talk about her secret identity in such a favorable way without him knowing. Unsure of how to reply, she wordlessly offered the bag so he could pick out a snack.

"So, how did the cashier react to seeing Ladybug walking into their shop?" he asked, reaching inside. "Was he surprised?"

She chuckled. "I didn't buy them as Ladybug, silly. I got them as myself. My civilian self, that is."

"Oh! O-of course," he replied with an embarrassed smile. "It's easy to forget you're not always Ladybug. Th-that is– obviously you're always Ladybug, b-but not necessarily walking around as Ladybug, it's just... y-you– uhh..."

She giggled, placing a hand on his shoulder. "It's okay, I know what you mean. We don't know what the other looks like, so it's hard to mentally picture anything else." She placed a finger on her chin, tapping it thoughtfully. "I bet that in real life, you're actually a pirate with a peg leg. A daring, swashbuckling outlaw with a hook for a hand and a secret cave full of gold," she said jokingly. "Oh! But you like music, right? So, maybe you're actually a professional violinist. World renowned! Or, since you're pretty athletic, I bet you're secretly a circus acrobat! Are you in Cirque du Soleil, by any chance?" 

"Ha ha, you're hilarious," he deadpanned. Then he leaned forward, quirking a flirtatious smile and waggling his eyebrows, and replied, "Obviously, I'm the quick-witted and dashing Han Solo type. Breaking hearts and taking names. People stop in the streets, jaws dropping, and they gape as I walk by, admiring my charms."

"PFFT!" Ladybug snickered at his clowning and replied, lilting, "Oh, I'm sure. I can see it now." Her voice went into a falsetto and she swooned, clasping her hands together, "Oh, Monsieur Solo Noir, you are such a handsome rogue! Won't you whisk me away in your Catmobile into the sunset?"