Chapter 16: Legato (Part 1 of 3)

I struggled a lot with this chapter for some reason (somehow each one gets harder and harder... WHY IS WRITING SO HARD????!!!)  But it's a little longer chapter, plus there's a special treat at the end, so I hope you enjoy it! :)

--------

            Music glossary:       Legato:  "tied together"; indicates that musical notes are to be connected, so they are played (or sung) smoothly

(Mood Music: Mamma Mia (Swing version) - Opa Tsupa)

[One month later]

"Alright, I'm gonna take the side door and rush upstairs to steal the elven artifact. You got these guys?"

Chat rubbed his hands together, then picked up his controller, adjusting his grip. "Oh baby, I'm itching to try out this new greatsword."

Marinette nudged him with her elbow. "Don't aggro too many mobs. Space 'em out."

"Did you forget I can stun?" he poked her back.

"No, but you often do," she quipped. "One sec, buff refresh."

"Ouch, my masculinity! Too bad your regen got nerfed with the last patch."

"I'll manage; I bought some extra potions." She shrugged. "Remember not to blow your rage too early this time. We don't want to pull out prematurely!"

Chat gave her an incredulous look, as if she'd grown a second head.

Marinette winked at him. "I've just seen how you handle that greatsword of yours."

Chat howled with laughter. "Double dagger spec? More like double entendre spec!" He squeezed her shoulder. "You've come so far."

"Oh, I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve," she replied.

He sniffled and dramatically wiped away a fake tear. "I'm so proud of you."

Marinette giggled and settled herself into a comfortable position, crossing her legs on the floor. Her fingers gripped her controller tightly in anticipation. "Alright, Minou. It's go time."

---

Several tense minutes of yelling and frantic button-mashing later, Chat wailed in agony as he plopped backwards, "NOOOO!!! We were so close!!"

Marinette turned around, frowning. "Dude! Why'd you have to go off on your own into that side corridor?! You should've known it would be full of stealth enemies!"

Chat's arms flapped around as he sputtered incredulously. "Y'know what?? We shouldn't even be here! You're the one who wanted to two-man a four-person dungeon!"

"We would've succeeded if only you'd stuck to the plan, Mr. Curious Cat!"

Chat paused to shoot her a petulant glare. "Well, I guess that means you won't be needing this epic leather armor you've totally been looking for all week, that I just happened to loot from said forbidden corridor! I bet it'll fetch a high price at the auction house!"

Marinette let out an offended gasp. "You wouldn't dare!"

"Wouldn't I?"

"Give it!!" she yelped as she reached across for his controller.

"Nuh-uh! Nope, too late! You should've been nicer to me when you had the chance!" He clambered away, but she chased after him.

"Get back here!" she cried, catching him by the waist.

Chat continued to taunt her, holding the controller up high. "Gee, I wonder what kind of trinket I could buy with all the gold I get for this," he remarked, tapping his finger against his chin.