Chapter 26: Prima Donna (Part 2 of 4)

(Continued from part 1)

(Mood Music: "Last Carnival" - Norihiro Tsuru)

~~The next day, Saturday afternoon~~

One week, that's what Marinette had told herself seven days ago. That in one week's time, she would accept Chat's offer and let him confess his identity to her as Marinette.

Marinette twisted the hem of her dress, mentally rehearsing what she wanted to say, pacing back and forth in her bedroom as she did her best to not fall into a downward spiral of anxiety. She took several deep cleansing breaths, pausing for a few moments to look out her window, centering herself.

Tikki hovered dutifully nearby, occasionally chiming in with her usual reassuring phrases and mantras, but regretting not being able to do more for her ward.

Glancing into the mirror for one last check, Marinette decided it was time. She picked up her purse and called her kwami over, then made her way downstairs to Chat Noir's bedroom.

She raised her fist to rap on the door once she reached her destination; but then she just... froze. Her hand hovered there, noiselessly. Coward. She glared at it, twisting her mouth in displeasure, urging it to perform its task.

Just knock, damn it!! Why is it so hard??

In the midst of her argument with her own hand, the door jerked outwards, narrowly missing her, and she let out a surprised yelp as she hopped back.

Chat's eyes popped open in surprise and he gasped.

He began to apologize, but Marinette interrupted, "HelloChatNoirIneedtotalktoyou!!!"

Chat's eyebrows furrowed in confusion at her incoherent outburst. "Uh... come again?"

Marinette inhaled then tried again, more slowly this time, "Good afternoon, Chat! There is something important I would like to discuss with you. Can we go somewhere more private?"

Chat Noir let out a small chuckle at her forced, almost robotic tone, then nodded. "Sure. I think I know just the place."

The pair went back upstairs and exited the house via Marinette's balcony. Then Chat picked her up and leaped towards his chosen destination.

Marinette fought to keep her breathing even, wishing with all her might that Chat wouldn't be able to hear her heart pounding as he carried her. She tried her hardest to ignore the way his broad chest felt against her side, the way she could feel his muscles flex with every leap, the way his cologne smelled when combined with the scent of his leather suit. The way his lips looked so impossibly moisturized and utterly kissable. The elegant way his hair and cape flowed while in mid-air. The way his grip changed ever so slightly whenever he landed, ever the considerate gentleman, to diminish any potential discomfort on her part every time he jumped.

She squeezed her eyes shut to try to concentrate.

Focus, Marinette! It's happening. It's really happening!! I'm about to tell Chat that I'm ready for him to reveal his identity. And it's going to be totally fine! He's going to tell me that he's Adrien Agreste, and I will act very surprised. And I will be very supportive. I will reassure him that I will keep his identity a secret, no matter what. He's going to be safe. Everything is going to be fine. Adrien is going to be fine. Sooo fine. Adrien is sooo fine. Wait, no, that's not what I—

Sooner than she would've hoped, the two of them arrived at their destination a few blocks away. Chat stopped on the rooftop of a building facing a park, deeming it tall enough (and private enough) to converse at.