Chapter 17: Lullaby (Part 2 of 3)

Marinette glided across her bedroom, half-dancing, half-skipping, humming along to the music coming from her computer while she brushed her teeth. She paused to pick up her mannequin, spinning it around as if dancing with an imaginary partner.

"Marinette, you probably shouldn't do that with a toothbrush in your mouth," Tikki advised, though an amused smile tugged at her mouth.

"Hnn-kay," Marinette replied with a giggle, setting down the mannequin, then made her way to the sink to finish up her bedtime routine.

When she was done, she walked over to where Tikki was resting at the desk, in a little handmade bed that could pass for a stylish pin-cushion or phone rest.

"Ready for bed?" she asked in a chipper voice, scooping up the kwami into her hands then heading up to her loft bed.

Tikki snickered at her charge's excitement. This was definitely one of her favorite parts of mentoring a Ladybug. "Today was a good day for you, wasn't it, Marinette?"

"Gosh, you can say that again!" she replied, voice high and giddy. "I just can't believe it, Tikki! It feels like things just keep getting better and better. Now I get to plan our dates, gifts, anniversary milestones–"

Tikki raised a brow. "Uhh... Marinette, what happened to 'taking things slow'?"

The girl pouted. "I am taking it slow! It's not like I'm planning our wedding or anything!" The kwami rolled her eyes fondly in response.

Marinette set Tikki down on the pillow next to hers and flopped down stomach first. She turned around, still holding the pillow, and screeched happily into it, kicking her legs into the air. Tikki couldn't help but giggle.

"Think you'll be able to sleep with all this excitement?" she asked.

Marinette turned off the lights and snuggled under her blankets, squeezing her giant cat plushie.

"Yep! Boy, am I beat! I'm totally gonna sleep like a baby tonight."

Tikki smiled warmly. "Great to hear. Good night, Marinette."

Marinette let out a long yawn and rubbed the top of Tikki's head with her finger. "G'night, Tikki."

(continued in part 3)