Chapter 19: Attacca (part 2 of 3)

(Mood music:  "Recollection 3" - Shirō Sagisu (BLEACH OST, "The Diamond Dust Rebellion")

Adrien finished getting dressed for fencing, his head still blissfully floating in the clouds. He stored his belongings into his assigned locker, shutting it with a loud clang, which echoed through the empty room.

Huh...? Empty?

He swiveled his head around, surprised that there was no one beside him. He stood up and began walking down the large room, peeking down the other locker rows looking for his classmates; but there was nobody.

Where was everyone? There's no way that every single one of them was running late. Had his lessons been cancelled and he'd somehow missed a text message or email? He began heading back towards his locker to check his phone for any schedule changes.

Before he reached his destination, however, heavy thudding footsteps broke the eerie silence. Adrien whipped his body around to greet whoever they belonged to.

The owner of those footsteps was one of the last people Adrien expected to meet here.

"Gaspard?!"

Adrien stood agape, face to face with his old bodyguard, whom he hadn't seen in a couple of years; not since he'd resigned and moved out of the country. Nathalie had mentioned that in his resignation letter, Gaspard said that he'd become involved in an overseas business venture involving the market of rare action figures. Nevertheless, Adrien couldn't help but suspect that his father's ill temper and poor treatment of their employees was the true reason for his departure.

Adrien's first reaction was surprise and joy, and he rushed forward to greet and embrace him. However, as he approached and got a better look at the man's face, Adrien's mood instantly morphed into confusion and apprehension. There was something odd about his eyes.

Something wasn't right. Why was Gaspard here? And why now?

He came to a halt about a meter before reaching him. An oppressive weight seemed to press in all around him, and he had to suppress a shiver. "Wait. Gaspard, did–" he gulped, "–did my father send you?"

His old bodyguard did not reply, but took a heavy step towards him. Adrien stepped back.

"Please... I can't go back. I live somewhere else now, and I'm very happy there. Whatever he told you about the situation, it's a lie."

His bodyguard continued to approach him, his stare vacant and unsettling.

Fighting the urge to panic, he pleaded, "You don't have to do this. If he's offered you compensation, I can match it; it'll just take me a bit of time. But we can work something out, right?? For old time's sake?"

He continued walking backwards until he bumped into something firm, but it wasn't a wall; it was another person. Before he could turn around, they grabbed him by the shoulders, detaining him and preventing him from running away.

He was about to shout for help when something sharp jabbed him on the side of the neck, injecting a cold liquid. Adrien's eyes grew wide in terror.

Shit.

Adrien swore as he jerked away, elbowing whoever was behind him and managing to break free. Rubbing at the spot where the syringe had stabbed him, he glanced back to take a look at his other assailant, only to see... another Gaspard?

Why are there two of him??

This was wrong. Gaspard didn't have a twin; he knew that for a fact. He'd worked for the Agrestes ever since Adrien was a toddler and was too young to even pronounce his name correctly (hence the nickname "Gorille", which stuck around for years afterwards). Additionally, there was something uncanny, otherworldly, even, about the way these two men looked and moved.

He shook himself out of his stupor. He didn't have time to contemplate any possible explanations. He had to get out of there fast.

He sprinted towards the exit, but only managed to travel a few paces before he lost his footing and tripped. He fell to the ground hard, almost hitting his head on a nearby bench. As he struggled to get up, he realized that his fingers and toes had already gone numb.

Not good.

Time was running out. Adrenaline coursed through him and, with a grunt, he hefted himself to his feet and scrambled towards the exit, as fast as he could despite a heavy limp. Though his heart was hammering and his legs felt like they were filled with sand, he pushed himself, concentrating on reaching the door.

After taking a few steps, however, he realized that even if he did manage to exit the locker room, the area beyond was an open courtyard. Meaning he wasn't going to be able to reach someplace safe before getting caught. He had no choice but to transform into Chat Noir, and hopefully Plagg's powers and strength could help him escape and find somewhere to hide.

He'd scarcely uttered the first syllable in the transformation phrase when he was tackled to the ground. A giant hand swiftly covered his mouth and Adrien felt his hands get bound together with thick zip ties behind his back. A muffled scream of writhing frustration made its way up his throat as his limbs became more and more useless by the second.

No... This can't be happening! Please, this can't be how it all ends!

Just when his life had finally gained a semblance of normalcy and he'd found happiness again, it would get ripped away and he would disappear without a trace, leaving everyone to wonder what had happened to him. Leaving his friends to think that Gabriel had pulled him from school and they would never see him again. Leaving Ladybug to wonder if Chat had abandoned her forever. Leaving her to fight Hawkmoth alone. Again.

He couldn't let that happen. He thrashed and struggled as furiously as he could, fighting the feelings of overwhelming helplessness that threatened to consume him. Nearing despair, he was too distracted to notice Plagg phrasing through the wall, away from the skirmish, in search of the only person who could save him.

----

(continued in part 3)