driftwood pt1

The air was sharper the next morning as fog crept around the castle walls

The air was sharper the next morning as fog crept around the castle walls. Lily and Alice laid soundly in their beds, still asleep, but to my surprise Marlene was sat in a chair by the window. She had on a comfy looking shawl with long sleeves that hid one hand, the other had its fingers wrapped around a steaming mug.

I stretched and got up to join her, tugging on my own sweatshirt sleeves to conceal my hands from the cold. I sunk into the chair opposite her and gazed out the window.

"What are you doing up so early?"

"I love cold mornings," she replied softly, taking a sip from her black cup. "Coffee?" She offered. I shook my head.

"Not really a fan," she shot me a bewildered look but said nothing.

We existed peacefully by the window for some time. Breathing in the cutting air, eyeing the misty hills. I could see why Marlene enjoyed it; this was the quietest I had seen the school all week.

Soon enough, Alice and Lily rose and joined us, each pouring themselves a cup of coffee as well. We chatted lightly here and there, but for the most part just enjoyed each other's company and the crisp morning.

Around 9 we headed down for breakfast. We joined the boys, who were huddled around a used-looking piece of paper and who seemed far too awake for a Saturday. Something was vaguely suspicious.

"Good morning, boys," Lily greeted politely, taking a seat beside Remus and grabbing a muffin from his plate.

"Yeah, morning," they mumbled back, barely acknowledging the four of us. We shared a look of confusion and intriguement. Marlene went in for answers.

"What's up with you lads?"

"Nothing," she furrowed her brows.

"Peter?" They were paying attention now. James whispered something under his breath and pushed the paper aside. "Whatcha working on?" Marlene asked, she took a bite of an apple and cocked her head. The three boys glared at their fourth, begging him to keep quiet.

"Oh, um, it's really nothing," Marlene shrugged.

"Okay," she shrugged. Remus clapped Pete on the shoulder, James relaxed, and Sirius leaned back to the middle of the table. I looked back to my own inner circle.

"What the fuck, Mar?" Lily mouthed. Marlene put up a hand and did a countdown from 3 on her fingers. Right on cue we heard Pete moan,

"Oh, can't we just tell them? Maybe they could help!"

"Help with what?" Alice queried sweetly. Sirius slammed his head on the table.

"Oh, out with it," Lily demanded. "James?" He sighed.

"Fine."

"Traitor," Sirius muttered.

"We've got a plan," Lily perked up excitedly.