all eyes on me

After my talk with Peter, I fell asleep, really asleep, for the first time in a month

It was a sleep clear of dreams, clear of stress, clear of war.

It was relieving, it was reviving, it was so completely necessary.

It lasted three hours.

I opened my eyes to a dim room. The sun had not yet risen from behind the trees, leaving only faded remnants of grey light to permeate the small window in mine and Remus's room.

"I'm sorry," said Remus quietly, and I turned to find him crouched beside the bed, fully dressed. "I didn't want to wake you."

"It's okay," I mumbled, rubbing my eyes. "What is it?"

"Dumbledore sent his patronus," Remus said, and I didn't overlook the hint of disinclination when he added: "We have to go in for a meeting."

"Oh."

I didn't move from my bed, and Remus didn't move from beside it. We both just stayed, frozen. I let his eyes flicker through mine knowingly as we froze in our synced breathing, synced fear.

Another meeting.

Remus and I hated them, the meetings; we hated everything about the Order of the Phoenix, for that matter. The only decent thing about it was the fact that we were benched.

Though we could hold our own in a duel, my friends and I were young. When it came to real, active battle, there were more experienced and willing witches and wizards to take our place. For the time being we were only to train and sit quietly through the dreadfully boring yet anxiously honest meetings.

Stay out of the way, basically, until we were old enough to die - or, not die.

"The Kid's Table," Sirius would call it. "We're stuck at the bloody Kid's Table."

Unlike Sirius, I had no issue with the sidelines. I may have been the one who made the firm push to join the Order, but the war was moving much quicker than any of us had expected.

For everyone else it was as if they had been saving their whole lives for these moments; it was as if everything else had been a warmup and now was the time to prove they were worthy.

I didn't care much about being worthy, though. I still didn't feel completely warmed up.

Contrary to the fact that it followed me everywhere, I was not a huge fan of death.

"Where are we meeting?" I asked Remus, and he hesitated.

"Frank and Alice's," he answered with an imposed calmness.

I instantly tossed aside the covers and tore out of bed.

Why there?

"Sydney."