holy ground

"You are ridiculous," I laughed, watching Sirius present his handmade poster from the floor across the room

It was the early hours of Lily's birthday, long after curfew but still before sunrise, and our group (minus the redhead, of course) was set up in the common room preparing for the event.

"What, you don't like it?" The black haired boy asked offendedly, flipping the sign so he could reexamine it.

As opposed to Alice, who had carefully and colorfully bubbled an arrangement of positive and flowery wishes, Sirius's card was scribbled on a ragged piece of cardboard in black ink. It vaguely read: Happy Birthday Lilith.

"No, it looks great, Pads," I said with fake engrossment. "I'm sure she'll know exactly who designed it."

Sirius grinned and tossed the cardboard aside before stretching his arms lavishly and getting to his feet.

"Well," he said. "Unless you bitches need me to create more beautiful signs, I'm off to bed."

We all shook our heads furiously and Alice and Peter pulled away any materials in his path so he wouldn't corrupt the rest of Lily's decorations.

"Night, Sirius!" Dorcas cheered as her and Remus stepped through the portrait hole. Each of them were holding a tray of double chocolate cookies (Lily's favorite since Remus made them for a study session in third year).

Sirius semeed to have changed his mind, however, and began to make his way over to the plate of desserts.

"These are for tomorrow!" Remus protested, spinning away and holding the cookies away.

"Come on, Moony!" Sirius cried, jumping and reaching for the plate.

"No! They're for Lily!"

"She won't notice if one biscuit is missing!"

Remus looked pleadingly to James and I, who were standing by one of the tables and working on charming a potted lily flower so that it wouldn't die.

"Padfoot, they're for Evans," James agreed paternally. "Tomorrow has to be perfect."

"Evans would want me to have one!" Exclaimed Sirius.

"For God's sake, just give him one," I groaned, growing tired of the debate.

"Fine," said Remus, lowering the plate and picking one of the smaller cookies.

"At least someone here has feelings," Sirius jabbed, throwing playful glares at Remus and James.

"Oh just go to bed you bloody attention whore," Remus shot back with an eye roll.

Sirius grinned, stuck the cookie half way into his mouth, and bowed graciously before fluttering his fingers at us and sweeping up the stairs with a queen-like wave.