around the world

"Oh no, it's happening!"

The door to my dorm room whooshed open and slammed against my bureau, rattling some chapsticks and picture frames. I looked up from my History of Magic textbook to find a very frantic James Potter pacing the floor.

"James wha-"

"IT'S HAPPENING."

His long legs, concealed in a pair of grey 'Gryffindor' sweatpants, strode around the room as though he were a parent in a hospital waiting room. Hands pressed together, pointer fingers touching his lips, eyebrows furrowed, glasses tipped.

Marlene stepped out of the steaming bathroom, her hand wrapped in a towel which she was using to scrunch her clean, wet, hair. She clocked the boy, made a face at me as though he were crazy, and moved over to her desk without a word.

I cautiously closed the textbook in front of me and rose from my bed. I took a few steps over to the distressed teen before slamming both of my hands on his shoulders to catch him in place.

"Jimmy! What is happening?"

His wide, hazel eyes locked onto mine.

"She found Sir Swims the III."

"Who found Sir what?"

"SHE FOUND HIM?"

The exclamation came from my redhead roommate, who had discreetly slipped through the doorway which James had left ajar. The fawn eyes flickered over my shoulder to the girl, and James broke from my grasp. He sped over to Lily and threw his arms over her small shoulders dramatically, crying out about the 'horrors of it all.'

"James," said Lily. "JAMES. There's no time for this!" The girl shoved his limbs off of her and straightened out her shirt. "Does Remus know?"

James nodded sharply, his eyes still wide and childlike.

"He's in the bathroom with Reggie now," he replied. "They're trying to transfigure SS3 into some sort of plant."

"No way," Lily shook her head. She crossed her arms over her chest and bit on her pointer finger nail, which had red paint chipping away. "She'll see right through it."

"Sorry," I said. "Really, hate to interrupt. But, what the fuck is going on?"

"You're so dense, Syd," shot James.

"You know Jimbo? It hurts that you stole my favorite insult and used my government name all in one sentence."

"Sir Swims III is our pet fish," Lily explained through a sigh, as though she were inconvenienced by my confusion.

"Okay? People sneak in small pets all the time. Alice has like a whole zoo next to her bed."

This affair was growing increasingly stupid, which was likely why Marlene ignored it in the first place.