Chapter 1

All I remember was the loud splash, the screams beforehand and the darkness that came with it. I remember the surface of the water, the sun refracting through the waves giving me a false sense of hope that air was obtainable. I remember reaching my arm out, attempting to grasp for something or someone but all I felt was the fluid liquid through my fingers.

And lastly, all I remember was the pain that filled up my lungs, my last breath leaving me. The little innocent floating bubbles taunting my sinking body, my soul leaving the world.

But how could I remember all those memories if I was dead?

My eyes shot open, my lungs were suddenly being filled with oxygen as I intake a large breath, as if It was my first breath born into this world. The fire that burned in my chest subsided after a few seconds as my breaths remained ragged, the remaining panic running through my veins caused me to jolt up, my eyes stung from the bright surroundings. Shutting my eyes tightly, I decided to calm my breathing, I was alive. I couldn't be alive.

I remember drowning, I remember falling into a river— or was it a lake or the sea? My mind was muddled and hurting and I decide to think about it later, instead, needed to focus on the now, starting with the fact that I knew I wasn't drenched in water like I should be, the sounds of my surroundings were quiet. A little too quiet, that's when I felt that the floor I was on was smooth to the touch, man made. Wriggling my fingers, toes and limbs, I am not injured either, so I slowly open my eyes, the light stinging them again making me want to close them but I try, I keep opening them, forcing my vision to clear and for the light to adjust and after possibly a minute of bleary eyes and excessive blinking and wiping of pain induced tears, I could see.

And what I saw wasn't pleasant. I was in a room, man made linoleum floor, stainless steel walls and brightly lit by ceiling lights. There were no windows, no doors, nothing. This couldn't be the afterlife, if it was it needed a serious makeover because it currently felt like I was in a lab of sorts. My eyes darted around, taking in every single thing about the room, but there was nothing, I was trapped in a box.

Testing out if my legs worked was next, I carefully moved my legs below me, slowly putting pressure on each of them, happily to know I wasn't hurting anywhere I stood up. My energy almost as if I had just had a good nights sleep, ready to tackle the day, but what day? Where the hell even am I?

Red.

I jolted in my skin, and my eyes widened, my heart raced as I took a defensive stance, looking all over the now white lights above me had turned a crimson colour. An alarm went off deafening my ears, causing me to immediately cover them. That's when I felt water, at my feet, the trickling of it almost audible through the alarm I panicked, where was the water coming from? It was starting to fill the room at an alarming rate, it's freezing coldness caused my toes to curl.

The floor was sinking.

I quickly ran around the room, searching for a nook of sorts to pry at, there had to be an escape, but why was I being drowned again if I was already dead, but then I paused. This could be hell, and I had to relive my death again. But the icy coldness of the water managed to breakthrough my thoughts, why was this happening, why was I trapped in a room with no way out, why was it being filled with water fast, icy cold water for that matter and then it hit me.

Wake up.

I plunged myself into the waist deep icy water, submerging myself completely, I internally screamed at the freezing chill that shocked my body and then it disappeared.