55) Of Friendship and Consolation

Date: January 10th
Time: 9:51pm
Location: Outside the godforsaken florist shop
Mood: Furious
<><><>

That was her Baek Hyeon.

The scene playing out before her eyes wasn't real. It couldn't be.

Anger and heartbreak like she'd never experienced or even known was possible pressed down on her chest so hard that she forgot to breathe. That ringing sound was back and it was all she could hear. The world around them faded away until it was just she and them. Y/n on the outside looking in on something that was supposed to be hers but despite the physical distance, she would never be able to reach.

That fatherly affection on his face was so familiar and should have produced feelings of security and joy. But that look wasn't for her. It was for someone else. Her little buddy. Her Baek Hyeon.

Her brother. Now it clicked. The reason he felt familiar. It wasn't because he reminded her of himself. It was because he was a younger image of the man that had ruined her life. Those eyes of his that she had thought of as silver, were actually grey. Just like his. Grey eyes weren't common. She should have connected the dots sooner.

This was exceedingly cruel and unfair.

She had thought she knew pain. That assumption was so wrong it was almost comical. Baek Hyeon shouldn't be that happy. Not with him. He was a destroyer of happiness and would ruin his childhood. That man would only hurt him, father or not. He didn't deserve someone like that swine of a parent.

Watching them interact was hard enough. But it was the scarlet zinnia he offered to the little boy that sent her over the edge.

Next to her Hyuna was trying to catch her attention by tugging on her arm and saying something. But she didn't make sense. Nothing made sense anymore. All she was aware of was the hot flames of a temper rarely stoked burning away at her self control.

With little effort she broke free from Hyuna's hold on her arm and began to search the surrounding area for something to use. Something, anything to hurt him. By the time her eyes landed on a palm sized rock, she'd lost all control over the actions. The only thing she was able to consciously do was seek out Baek Hyeon once more to make sure he wasn't in the line of fire, but there was no need. He and everyone else was out of sight.

"Oh, shit!" Hyuna cursed as Y/n reared her arm back and threw the rock as hard as she could. The impact produced a fissure in the large window of the shop. It wasn't enough. Fueled by years of built up resentment, she reached for another and flung it harder. A series of cracks spread like spiderwebs across the window and the sound encouraged her for more violence.

Hyuna was way ahead of her. Suddenly she found herself upside down over her friend's shoulder as she carried her off as quickly as she could, all the while muttering a constant, "shit shit shit shit shit shit!"

The smaller woman yelped and fought against her hold. "Let me down! Put me down RIGHT NOW!"

"Fuck that! You wanna go to jail, Velma?"

"I don't care!" She argued. The image of Baek Hyeon's innocent face contorted with grief caused by him sprung into her mind. Wrath blinded her common sense. "I'll kill him! I'LL KILL HIM!"

"Alright, calm down, John Wick." Her breath came out in heavy pants and Y/n would have felt bad if she had been able to realize that fact. She twisted her head to try and catch a glimpse of them once more but Hyuna had gotten them out of the area so quickly that they were almost back at the car.