34) Of Questions and Secrets

Date: November 22nd
Time: 12:39pm
Location: Y/n's apartment, bedroom
Mood: *yeets a hammer*
D I S T R A C T I O N
<><><>

"Unnie, gesh what!"

In the toddler's haste and excitement to get to her favorite person, she completely missed the way her head banged into Y/n's lip when she dived into her lap. Not wanting to scare her baby sister, she swallowed the pain (and the little bit of blood as her teeth scraped the inside of her mouth) and was careful not to let on that she was in pain. Rosie would cry her eyes out otherwise.

Though, Y/n did wonder how hard this child's head was that she hadn't even registered that impact. From her end it was a 6.5 on the Richter scale.

Rosie set a pamphlet on top of her homework and opened it up, proudly displaying the schedule for an upcoming recital.

"Ya wanna see me dansh?"

Giving the toddler a snuggle, she looked over the pamphlet and spoke like this was the most impressive thing she'd ever seen.

"Rosie, that's amazing! Of course I want to see you dance. Should I bring you a present when I come to watch?"

"Yes! Fwowers! Pwease?"

Fortunately she missed the way her older sister blanched at the suggestion. "Alright," she agreed weakly. She currently couldn't stomach the idea of walking into a florist and picking out a bouquet, but what Rosie wanted, Rosie got. Besides, maybe this would be good for her. She'd already taken the first step towards recovery, perhaps this was meant to be the second. It had been fifteen years. That was a long time.

"Yay!" The little girl squealed and swung around (nearly bumping her head all over again) and wrapped her small arms around her neck. "You my twue wove's dawing."

Y/n wasn't sure where the moniker 'true loves darling' came from and would very much like to see what went on inside of the three-year-old's head. No doubt the world was much more exciting in her eyes. She was still convinced that Seo-Joon was a dragon.

After a load of snuggles and three choruses of baby shark, she was once again alone to do her work.

An hour later, the word document open on the laptop screen remained blank despite having already picked her topic, the text cursor blinking at a steady pace.

Scouring the internet for possible topics to write the essay on, she'd run across one and couldn't move past it. Which was very confusing for a myriad of reasons. Most of which made no sense.

'The Coevolution Between Humans and Wolves'

The moment her eyes met the words they stuck there. Her right ear began to tingle. Akin to the feeling you might feel when there's a word you're trying to remember and it's almost there but it's not, this sentence struck a chord. There was something here she was supposed to see and understand. For so long she studied what was in front of her and for nothing. That knowledge dangled just out of reach and it was beyond frustrating.

Several minutes later she confirmed that 'wolves' was the trigger word here. For that she couldn't imagine why. She loved animals but hadn't ever really given wolves a second thought.

All of a sudden, she wanted to know everything about them. Their behaviors, likes and dislikes, social interactions, where they lived, what they eat, their natural enemies, where they stand on the food chain, how they hunt, where they sleep, how they were domesticated—that! That was it. That had to be it.