23) Of Zoos and Diss Tracks

Date: November 8th
Time: 9:57pm
Location: The sidewalk outside of the convenience store
Mood: Mother trucker hurts like a buttcheek on a stick
<><><>

Separation. She had known Jimin for how long...a month? Two and half weeks of awkwardness. A week and some days of even more awkward. But now they were going to separate and there was no guarantee they would see one another again.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise to her. Y/n always knew at some point he would leave. That the way of things would dictate it happening right when she didn't want it to was just her luck.

Sure they exchanged phone numbers. She was still shocked that she had gone through with asking him. The action had nearly killed her. She got his number. And for what? What was she supposed to do with this? Suddenly be a normal person and text him?

A hard blush filled her face at the thought. Suddenly the idea that she was stupid plagued her. She could see it now: Jimin hanging with his friends because unlike her he had a truckload of them. Having fun when Y/n, that mousy, weird girl who had can't look him in the face to talk, texts him out of nowhere. His friends would ask who he was texting and he would say something like............something mean about her that she couldn't even imagine him saying.

Something cold pressed to her flaming cheek, bringing her to jump and cringe away from the offending object.

Jimin, a cold Sprite in hand grinned back at her, letting loose a zoo of butterflies in her gut.

"I'm sorry," he smiled gently and pressed the soda into her hands which she (of course) accepted.

All of the carbonated beverages were good and brought her happiness, but every now and then she would worry if she was drinking them too much. On days where Jimin was absent the cravings were bad and her body wasn't nearly as energetic as it was when ingesting tons of sugar and caffeine.

"May I..." Half turned away, Jimin peered over at her from under his lashes. "Drive you home?"

The butterflies in her tummy were trampled by the emergence of a bowlegged elephant because she was awkward like that. Inside and out. It crashed over them and sent her stomach into somersaults.

"S-sure—I—yes—uh, yeah—o-okay."

One day, she vowed, she would be able to talk without sounding like a complete loser.

"For my lady." Jimin opened the passenger door to his Hyundai, bowing in an exaggerated manner.

"Th-thank-thank you. A-and me—and—um—n-never mind."

But today was not that day!

Dropping the soda to her lap, she covered her face in shame, while lowering into the seat and trying to calm her racing heart. She could do this. One step at a time. That's what it would take.

Step one: Breathe.

Relaxing her shoulders, she slowly inhaled through her nose.

Jimin shot into the driver's seat faster than she had expected, the same grin from earlier apparently trying for an unending streak. Forcing her eyes elsewhere, she counted to three before gently exhaling, forcing the muscles of her jaw to loosen up.

"Marshmallow?"

"Hm?" she stared avidly at the dashboard in a sad attempt to avoid his gaze.

"Your seatbelt." he softly pointed out.

Keeping her gaze away from him at all times, she buckled herself in just as Jimin decided to test the zoo raging inside of her.