60) Of Misunderstandings and WereGiraffes

Date: February 4th
Time: 10:47pm
Location: We're stuck in Y/n's house again
Mood: That moment when you realize you've wasted an hour to watch Butter melt.
<><><>

That night her bed enveloped Y/n with the comfort and safety she had been needing all day.

Cutting the rest of her classes for the afternoon, she had marched her cute butt over to the hospital and then spent the next hour trying to find the right people to speak with, to explain her situation, and to figure out how she could be tested to find out if she was a potential donor match for Hyuna. Several hours, more conversations than she had ever been comfortable with, blood withdrawals, urine tests, cancer screenings and various other medical exams later, she was sent home.

At least she could say she wasn't alone! Today she had earned a new albatross to wear around her neck. This scary hospital bill that had a nifty little payment plan already set up for her convenience. Wonderful.

...now go back and...no, fuck it. No one has time for that.

All day the ever increasingly clingy Jimin had bombarded her with messages. At one point seeming normal but then escalating to the weird. Eventually she got tired of his attitude and turned the phone off.

Any other time she would tell him to shut up. But as of now, she was starting to feel beaten down by everyone close to her. The man supposed to be her father just wanted money. Jimin had the audacity to ask if she wasn't answering because she was with another man. Those emotions that had hidden behind a cloud of numbness for the past week had rushed back all at once with startling abruptness. And with it, every negative mannerism and bad habit she had worked so hard to stop came along.

The nervous twitching. Clasping her hands tightly together. The cold sweats. The persistent stutter. It wasn't just people pushing her down, it was her own body trying to set her back. Everything put together, it wasn't like little worries laid out for her to cross. It was huge ones stacked on top of one another to create a mountain of fuckery. And at the top:

Hyuna was dying.

Her best friend...was dying. Y/n wasn't mad that she was just finding this out. She was hurt. For whatever reason, Hyuna had decided that she shouldn't be privy to that information. Of course she had her own reasons for that and was the one actually having to face her own mortality.

But it was the way she said it. Like it was no big deal, like everyone else knew. As if Y/n should have noticed it. Because...she should have. That was how she felt. This whole time it was obvious that there was something off about her friend and now with the truth before her, hindsight was 20/20. Everything made sense.

That she could potentially be a match for a transplant to extend her life was a lot to hope for. Probably too much. Bad luck and circumstance liked to follow Y/n around like a dark shadow and this was one more thing to darken it.

Hyuna was actually on the verge of death. If that happened...

She didn't want to think about it. But that was all she could think about. Before long she had begun to cry. Each legitimate worry was too much to bear while the smaller ones seemed to swell in size the more upset she became.

It wasn't just regular crying either, it was the type that hurt your chest and burned your throat. Taking one of those handy pills right about now would be a good idea, but that idea depressed her more. Why was she so messed up that it took medicine to fix her?

Although she had tried to be as quiet as she could so as not to wake up her family, there was a brief knock at her door before it slid open. She choked back a sob and looked through watery eyes to see the blurry shape of her step dad entering the room.