17) Of Friends and Dragons

Date: October 30th
Time: 7:37am
Location: Home
Mood: Meh
<><><>

Tuesday morning she awoke feeling depressed. The weekend and day after had seemed to drag. With the last three days off from work, studying had been the main go to. Yet the words didn't register. Every time her eyes set to paper it was like her brain slowed to a stop and refused to soak anything in.

Playing tea with Rosie (and an unwilling Seo-Joon that had been dragged in by the toddler's puppy-eyed look) would usually cheer her up, but it fell flat on her heavy mind. Even their costumary family movie night did little to improve her mood.

It could have been because all weekend there was a downpour of rain and they found themselves stuck in the house. Or it could have been that achy feeling in her chest telling her she should be somewhere else. Somewhere she couldn't determine.

The tomatoes on her breakfast plate shined, bright red and looking delicious. Ironic considering they were dead inside too.

Dead. They used to be alive. She hated the thought of picking flowers and killing animals and hurting trees, but did she ever stop to thinking about all of the vegetables she ate?

NO, she didn't, because she only thought of herself!

Yes, today she was going to beat herself up over being a vegetarian and the hypocrite she was.

Never mind that plants don't have brains or nerves and cannot feel pain. Logic was out the window, along with her own fake wig she had snatched for no reason.

"Sis." Seo-Joon sat across the kitchen table, breaking her out of the ridiculous (yet still depressing) thought process. "That Jimin guy. Do you know him from somewhere else? You two seemed awfully familiar." The tail end of this questioning was decidedly more accusatory.

Hesitating to answer, she tried not to let it show. Something inside her felt protective of Jimin in some ways. She supposed it was because he'd helped her on more than one occasion and her compassionate heart couldn't help but return the favor. But when she thought on it, she (sort of) knew the reason behind it.

There was something weird about her feelings toward Jimin.

There was Jimin, and her normal notions concerning him. On this level he was nice, he brought her gifts and could be a little overwhelming from time to time.

Then underneath that, there was Jimin. That guy that made her feel strange things that she wasn't used to experiencing. The angry man with fire in his eyes that wanted to wipe out anything that made her sad or scared. The person who had figured out a special way of talking to her that didn't make her feel like she was dying.

It was that level, that feeling, that made her want to protect him. He was something decidedly different in her life that intimidated yet intrigued her. Very, very slowly he was edging over from an outside zone to a familiar one and she couldn't decide if it was a good or bad thing. Maybe it was the monotonous schedule that had been set up between them that was the comfortable part. The—go to work, say hello, share a few glances and shy smiles here and there. There was no further interactions, nothing that gave her anxiety about him anymore. He was there, and it was nice.

Because of all that, she dared not tell Seo-Joon that they worked together. Her brother was overprotective and had always taught her to not trust men, that they were only after one thing. Whether they were or not, he would chase them off regardless. Y/n didn't talk much, but she listened. Middle school through high school the subject had been a point of gossip occasionally. Don't touch Yoon Seo-Joon's sister unless you have a death wish.