12. You Gotta Go There To Come Back

What would you do?
What would you say?
How does it feel?
Pretend it's OK
My eyes deceive me
But it's still the same
Pretend it's OK

It wasn't often Isabelle's dad had to leave for work, but he was gonna be out of town for a couple of weeks. He had told his children they could stay at the house, Isabelle could invite Peyton or stay over at Peyton's as long as they told him where they were so he didn't call the house worried and of course no parties at the house. 

But maybe it was a good thing he would be home, she had it easier pretending to her brother that things were okay. Her father however was a little harder to convince, he had seen his children through the best and the worst time of their lives. By now he could see the difference or most of the time anyway. 

Isabelle had a more watchful eye at school the next day, she watches around her more as she was trying to avoid someone, and honestly, she was. She was trying to avoid Brooke, but also most important try and avoid Lucas. 

"Hey" Isabelle got so startled her pen flew from her grip as she turned and saw Brooke next to her. "I've been looking for you all day where have you been?" Isabelle picks up her pen and gives Brooke a smile shrugging her shoulders.

"Nowhere really" 

"I wanted to talk to you about Lucas" Isabelle stopped what she was doing and looked fully at Brooke now.

"You left so quick the other night, what was that all about?" 

"Did he tell you what happened?" Isabelle tried

"We didn't do very much talking after you left if you know what I mean" Isabelle felt a lump in her throat and nodded her head a little. "I was just returning a CD that I borrowed," Isabelle said with a small smile and went back to writing. Brooke looked at her a little unsure if she was convinced. Isabelle didn't let her guard down when she felt Brooke looking at her and sent her friend a smile. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isabelle was walking with quick steps to her car, she wanted to get away from school as fast as possible. "Hey!" Lucas was running towards her car to catch up with her before she left. Isabelle took a deep breath.

"What do you want?"

"Look about last night, I feel really bad about it" Isabelle laughed a little and shook her head. "Can we not relive that, please? I just had this really weird long day and I probably wasn't making any sense"

"No you were. But I had no idea you were coming over last night, and Brooke and I..."

"Make a really good couple. I'm happy for you.. you are a good guy Luke and she's one of my best friends." she was not gonna get in the way of that even if it was breaking her right now. Isabelle was gonna get through it and over it.. over him.

I remember the day when we were out all night
I wish that I could get the day back and tell you it's all right
'Cause we all do the same thing
We just don't realize that we're living on borrowed time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isabelle looked over the flyer Peyton had helped Haley make for Karaoke night at Karen's cafe, she was helping the girls putting out flyers on cars and giving them to people.