17. Suddenly Everything Has Changed

We are searchlights, we can see in the dark
We are rockets, pointed up at the stars
We are billions of beautiful hearts
And you sold us down the river too far

Since Lucas had woken up Isabelle had not been at the hospital, she wasn't sure if she would be able to handle her emotions at the hospital and seeing him again. But she knew when he was getting home, she would give it a shot and go visit him at home. Isabelle could feel her heartbeat hard against her chest as she walked towards the bedroom door. She was playing with her hands as she had no idea what to do with them at the moment. "Isabelle" Lucas had noticed her by the door, Haley looked at her and grabbed her bag. "Okay, I'm gonna go elsewhere," Haley said her goodbyes and left. Isabelle quickly made her way to Lucas's bed, she started kissing his cheek first and then all over. "I was so afraid you weren't gonna wake up"

"What? and miss out on being with you?" Lucas smiled, the boy could still make her heart melt. She smiled softly before their lips touched in a kiss. "When you never came to the hospital, I started to worry that maybe you changed your mind" Isabelle shook her head. 

"No, I just.. it was too weird with Brooke there" she admitted. She took a deep breath, "I started telling her about us the night of your accident but then Haley called and everything changed."

"I figured, which is why I ended things with Brooke today," Lucas said making Isabelle look at him, "You did?" she asked, Lucas, nodded his head. Isabelle was stroking his hair a little. "Did you tell her why?"

"I told her I needed to focus on getting well."

"We need to tell her the rest," Isabelle said.

"Sure, just give me a few days to strengthen up" Isabelle slowly nodded her head, she guesses she could wait a few days. "Then we'll tell her together like we said, besides we're not exactly gonna be dating in the meantime," Lucas said chuckling a little and Isabelle laughed too. She captured his lips again just before her phone started to ring, looking at the screen she saw it was Brooke. Her thumb hovered over the answer button before she pressed declined. She didn't say anything, she just looked at the screen and then at Lucas. Isabelle gently laid down next to Lucas who wrapped his healthy arm around her. He kissed her on her forehead. Lucas could smell the scent of her shampoo, he had smelled it before and it had quickly become one of his favorite scents. It smelled fruity, like raspberries. They laid there for a while not saying anything and for Isabelle, it was all she needed at the moment. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peyton and Haley had gotten Isabelle to follow them to the mall, though she wasn't in exactly a shopping mood at the moment. "Izzy? what's the matter?" Peyton asked her. Isabelle struggled to answer, Brooke who had been sitting on a bench nearby look up and saw the girls. "Peyton, Belle?" the girls walked up to the bench. "I've been trying to call you, you didn't get my messages?" Brooke asked looking at Isabelle, "Oh no really? no my phone has been weird all day" Isabelle said. "Are you okay?" Isabelle asked. Brooke started to cry a little and shook her head.

"Not really no, I said I wasn't gonna do this and it wasn't worth it but it is. Lucas broke up with me" Brooke said through tears. Peyton sat down next to Brooke and put an arm around her. "I'm sorry Brooke"

"I was looking forward to getting a chance to show how much he means to me, and he said he just wants to be friends. Any idiot knows it's a code for going away"  Brooke wiped her tears, Isabelle looked at her with a broken face.

 Any idiot knows it's a code for going away"  Brooke wiped her tears, Isabelle looked at her with a broken face