18. The First Cut Is The Deepest

I know I can't take one more step towards you
'Cause all that's waiting is regret
Don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore
You lost the love I loved the most

Isabelle saw Brooke from across the courtyard and called out to her, Brooke walked slowly past her and looked at her but that was all she did. Look at her with this nasty look and continue to walk on. "Isabelle" she looked around and saw Jake and Peyton walking up to her, "What's the lasted" Isabelle sighed out and shook her head.

"Boy meets girl, girl doesn't know what she wants. The boy starts dating girl's best friend, girl ruins everything" Isabelle said. "Dark" was all Jake said making Isabelle snicker a little. "Anything I could do?" he asks. Isabelle shakes her head, "No, the story pretty much ends there" 

"You look like hell" Peyton then comments when both the girls look at him, "Gee thanks," Jake says making the girls smile. "Only been working on two hours of sleep, I don't know what it was but Jenny just wouldn't stop crying last night," he said. 

"Tried to key thing?" Isabelle asks and Jake nods his head, "Yeah, yeah I tried that but as soon as that stops she would start up again"

"Tried a shot of whiskey? always works for me" Peyton jokingly said, Jake and Isabelle laugh and shake their heads. "So hey listen, my cousins getting married downtown this weekend, is there any chance you could watch Jenny for a few hours? I mean you would really be helping me out" Jake said looking at Peyton and Isabelle.

"What's the pay?"  

"A night away from all this drama you've got going on?" he tried with Isabelle who smiled. The girls look at each other before Peyton nods her head. "Okay, you've got yourself a sitter.. or two" Jake smiles brightly and thanks to them before walking off. Isabelle gently nudges Peyton, "Someone's got a crush" she teased Peyton who blushes. 

"I say act on it before some friend comes in and make the whole thing complicated" 

"Wow.." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During practice, Brooke was on one side of the girls and Isabelle was on the other side, it was probably for the best thing because Isabelle could feel the glares she was getting from Brooke. That practice had been one of the most intense and awkward ones she's ever been at, after practice Isabelle ran after Brooke. "Brooke! sooner or later you're gonna have to talk to me" Brooke stopped and turned around to glare at Isabelle.

"Why don't I just smile at you, you know Isabelle style. Pretend everything is okay and lie to your face" Brooke said tilting her head.

"If I could go back to the way things were I would" 

"Back to when my best friend was cheating on me with my boyfriend and I was too stupid to realize it?" 

"You're not stupid Brooke!" Brooke just stared at Isabelle for a moment, "Did you sleep with him?" she then asked her. 

"No! no I didn't. We never got that far! god Brooke I am sorry okay? we were gonna tell and then the accident happened and you liked him so much and I thought"

"To spare me the heartache?" Brooke interrupted Isabelle, Isabelle looked at Brooke sadly and nodded her head. "Yeah" she then said. Brooke scuffed,

"Yeah well, that worked out really well didn't it?" Brooke snapped and turned to walk away, "Brooke!" Isabelle called out.